Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to pick up an older 96 STX 900 but the person who has it says it runs on 2 of 3 cylinders, and that the one cylinder has a broken rod. I'm a very capable auto mechanic ( not as a profession) but am new to working on PWC. My question is, is it worth investing the time and expense in this ski? I realize the crank probably has to come out so it would be a top and bottom end rebuild. They did say the rod did not come out of the engine. Should I just save my money and look for one that is a little simpler to get running? The budget for this is not huge for this project.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not huge, what is total cost of parts? Make sure you can afford it, parts are expensive. I just dropped $800 for manifold and exhaust pipe, gasket kit $180, $550 valve shims and timing. You have a good towing vehicle, trailer and storage, go for it . If not look after your priorities first. Remember it's a toy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I haven't researched the part cost yet, the ski is $150 bucks. I can afford it, I'm just not sure I should. The plan is to drop the drivetrain in an old boat and have some fun. Yes I can haul whatever I need, and can store as well. I was more concerned with complexity of the repair, and how much life the machine would have after that assuming nothing is cracked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts