Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been around PWC's all my life and am finally about to buy one. It is a 1996 Yamaha Wave Raider 1100 and has been sitting for about a year. Assuming it starts right up, what performance mods would you all recommend? I am a very mechanically-minded person and considered just rebuilding the engine and possible upgrading the carbs. I am looking to put about $500 into it. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to do a compression test a d some research on what brands, etc. But again thanks for your comment!

-Kyle

·
Registered
13 Posts
replace all bearings and seals in the jet pump

I just bought a 2001 yamaha waverunner for $400.00 with the trailer. I am replacing all bearing and seals in the jet pump area and boy did they need it. I am a first time jet ski owner and have thought about older jet skies and the work that will need to be done. I would completely remove the jet pump assembly and inspect all the parts. By the way the parts arn't cheap. Fortunatly I have a friend who knows how to do this work and buy the stuff cheap. Welder

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was it tough to replace those bearings and seals?

How long did that take?

How much were the parts with and without your deal?

Are those bearings a common part to wear out? Should they be replaced every few years on any ski?

How did you find a 2001 with trailer for $400? Were you actively looking or did you just come across it? How did it take you to find this deal (assuming you were actively looking)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have help

Was it tough to replace those bearings and seals?

How long did that take?

How much were the parts with and without your deal?

Are those bearings a common par
t to wear out? Should they be replaced every few years on any ski?

How did you find a 2001 with trailer for $400? Were you actively looking or did you just come across it? How did it take you to find this deal (assuming you were actively looking)?
When I got it the heads were removed and it was from a neighbor who didn'twant to mess with it any more assuming the ring were bad. I ordered a gasket set from SBT ( short block technology) and thus started my journey. I am still working on this project. The engin is removed and the jet pump as well. Up to this point I have $850.00 in the ski but by the time i'm done I figure on at the most $1500.00 hopefully only the carbs will tell. PS> I couldn't do this with out my very mechanical friend who has two jet skis ( polaris). They don't work on polaris around here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A little bit about me. I am a jack of all trades but a master of none. Your first rule of thumb should be to find a good back yard mechanic. Some how it gets done. Friend I will have my jet ski in the water this spring. Maybe this winter if I feel froggy. Welder

Let me rephrase: jack of some trades master of some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts