Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ‘96 Wave Venture 1100 runs fine up until about 1/3 throttle, then runs rough and bogs down. Also last time out noticed a LOT of smoke buildup inside the engine and battery compartments. Plugs are new, and gas I presume is good as I was regularly using Startron last season (didn’t put in fuel stabilizer during winterization however). Last time it ran without any issue was prior to last year‘s winterization. I‘ve only had it out twice this year, first time with old plugs, second with new plugs and Seafoam gas additive... Carb issue?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
The smoke inside indicates you have a leak in your exhaust system somewhere. Start it with the seat off and look for where the smoke is coming from. The exhaust inside the ski will make the ski run poorly. It could just be a loose clamp on a boot. Worst case would be a split in a boot or failed exhaust gasket. Till the smoke inside is fixed you can't properly diagnose the runability issue. It could likely be all the problem your indicating.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same thing on my 550 Kawasaki, it was the hose that connected the power pipe to the water box, had a big split in it, normally the hoses that have the most movement will eventually break, it's why you must check them regularly, also check the clamps now and again and make sure they are not to tight as the clamp can cut the hose and cause a problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The smoke inside indicates you have a leak in your exhaust system somewhere. Start it with the seat off and look for where the smoke is coming from. The exhaust inside the ski will make the ski run poorly. It could just be a loose clamp on a boot. Worst case would be a split in a boot or failed exhaust gasket. Till the smoke inside is fixed you can't properly diagnose the runability issue. It could likely be all the problem your indicating.
Thanks for the suggestion. Was able to try it tonight. Noticed a small plume of smoke around the carburetor assembly cover just after startup but nothing else. Also, didn't see or feel any breaks/cracks in the exhaust hoses leading out to the back of the ski.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a suggestion to try plugging the exhaust outlet with a rag and then check for smoke. When I did this, there was a small amount over by the exhaust manifold. Is even a small amount abnormal? Also, I forgot to mention that I put Seafoam in the gas the day I started noticing the smoke (it's currently still in the tank).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts