Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with instruction on how to replace the starter on my 1100 waveraider????

Is it better to just pull the engine to do this????

Any tips or help is appreciated? Starter motor is just making a grinding sound (not on the flywheel) but internally.

Thanks for looking and any help.....

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone help me with instruction on how to replace the starter on my 1100 waveraider????

Is it better to just pull the engine to do this????

Any tips or help is appreciated? Starter motor is just making a grinding sound (not on the flywheel) but internally.

Thanks for looking and any help.....

John
I have a similar problem. I needed to replace the starter on my 1995 RA700. I found a CLYMER shop manual on Amazon.com which shows how to remove the starter. It also has a section for the 1100. Basically you need to remove the entire exhaust system, but you don't need to pull the engine. It turned out that in my case it was a bad positive cable, but the only way to determine that was to remove the exhaust system. What a lousy way to build an engine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
it may be the starter drive and not the starter, if the starter turns over and not the motor i would pull the front cover and check the starter drive, they will get rusty or just worn out and will not completely engauge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do you know the starter is bad?
In my case, it turned out that the starter was not the problem. The problem was the cable from the solenoid to the starter. It was ver badly corroded at the terminal which attaches to the starter. The rubber cover whch goes over the connection had over heated to the point where it was stuck to the insulation. The wires were badlly discolored and could be broken by pulling on the terminal by hand. Starter is very rusty but still works. I'm replacing it anyway since I had to take off all of the exhaust system in order to find out the real problem. It still is a lousy way to mount the starter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts