Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i have a 1996 yamaha wave runner 1100 3 cylinder that has low hours a little over 100 hours, and the battery has quit charging, i have the same voltage before starting as i do when running, even when i rev it up same voltage, i have looked for loose grounds but cannot find them, i removed the big intake manifold to gain access to be able to see more and the covers from the carbs but cannot see anything. My local dealer said it could be one of 2 things, but it most likely is loose grounds since these take a beating when ridding, my brother has the same jetski that has over 500 hours on it and he has had loose grounds 2 seperate times when he took it in, can you help tell me where to look or what to check, thanks, Ben

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Check the wires at the Rectifier/Regulator assembly (I think it attaches to the side of the electrical box on the engine on your ski, but not sure). It is common for one of the wires to come off or the connector to be corroded. Also, very common problem on the 1100s was the ground wire to seperate inside the connector due to vibration (you may not be able to see the problem, but try pulling and pushing on the wires to see if one feels like it is broken inside the plastic covering).

If the wires are all good you may have a bad Rectifier/Regulator or possibly a bad lighting coil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Ernest T, i did follow all the wires i could to the connections but i didn't pull on anything, but like i said this engine compartment still looks new with this low hours but ill keep looking and i need to know where some of these parts are so i can do a test on them, does anyone have any pictures of these parts i need to test and what type of test with a volt ohm meter i need to do, thanks again.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You may need a service manual to know for sure on yousr ski. On my ski the Rec/regulator attaches to the side of the electrical box. You test the output voltage (on mine it is the black and red wires). Peak output voltage should be 15V.

Here is a parts diagram (it is #18 in the diagram): Yamaha Waverunner Parts 1996 RA1100U - WAVE RAIDER 1100 ELECTRICAL 1 Diagram

You can also check the lighting coil at the electrical box, but I do not have the specificaitons for your ski........they will be in a service manual.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey that is the same diagram i found today, my local jetski repair had that and when you look for the generator the stator is the second thing it could be but is way more difficult to change than the rectifier regulator, gonna test them tomorrow, thanks Ben

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey that is the same diagram i found today, my local jetski repair had that and when you look for the generator the stator is the second thing it could be but is way more difficult to change than the rectifier regulator, gonna test them tomorrow, thanks Ben
Yea, the stator is a tougher nut. I think on your ski there are 3 coils. A charging coil (stator), a pulsor coil, and a lighting coil. I may be mistaken, but I think the lighting coil is what sends current to charge the battery through the rec/regulator assembly. So you may only need to replace this one coil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went for it, i ordered a rectifier/regulator yesterday but won't get it till tuesday or wednesday next week, it is a aftermarket but they give it a guarantee, it is $69 + shipping but the factory piece was from $129 to $140, ill let you know next week how it turns out, i took it out lastnight and it still was a bit pain in the butt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the part the other day, big pain to put in, but after putting it in, cranking it up and running, i looked at the voltage before cranking it was about 12.3 after cranking it up it went to 12.6 to 12.7 but could not run long out of the water, i was thinking this should go higher, but what is a normal range for the voltage to be on a normal system.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Where are you measuring the voltage. The Reg/rec. usually puts out a maximum of 15volts to charge the battery. A fully charged battery will usually read around 13-14 volts with no load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am checking it at the battery, but im going to put my hand held meter and ride around to monitor it, like i said i only cranked it up for about 5 seconds in my shop the other day. But before i had the same voltage before cranking and after it was running, at least now it does go up more than before starting, i just thought it should go up into the 13's, if it doesn't i still may have a problem,.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok i put my little hand held meter on and rode around in the water, and it finally went up to 13 then maxed out to 14.3, that diffently fixed it, im just glad i didn't have to replace the stator, now that i know how to do this it isn't that bad, thanks again for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts