hey guys. noticed my gauges werent working and realized i forgot to hookup the little black wire, which from what ive read is the gauge wire. hooked it to ground (negative cable on battery) but forgot to switch the ignition switch off first. heard a sound as soon as the wire was hooked up and i saw the trim gauge move so i got that far. went to start it and got a sound like a dead battery and saw some smoke but couldnt figure out where it came from. checked fuses which were good, tried again and it turned over. let it sit for a second and tried again and got the same sound with the smoke again.took the gauge wire off and tried again without it and did the same thing. did i hurt the electrical system but not killing it before hooking that wire up? all i disconnected was the black (negative) cable and attached the little wire to it. please help this is holding up my trip and driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Guys.