Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dunno: Right before I was to return home from 1st tour, a 1997 1100 Stx was purchased for me as a home coming present. I was then told that I had to stay another 8 months and just got back. So here is my problem. When the STX was first purchased, my brother rode it and everything was fine. When he found out I was not going to be home for a while, he ran fuel stabalizer through it, covered it, and let it sit in hs driveway (8-9 months). When I went to sart it all I got was a clunking sound. I could not tell if it was coming from the starter or cylinder heads. I primed the carbs and still nothing. It really sounds like a bent crank rod, but how could that be from just sitting? Could it be hydrolock, and if so, how could that have happened from sitting? Anyway to test the starter with it in the ski? (tight fit) or do I need to remove parts to get to it?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unless your brother did something he shouldn't have (family members do that) you shouldn't have to take it apart.
Being away from it for 8 months, the sounds you hear may be normal, just typical starting sounds.
I have two 97 1100's and the starters were never a problem. I suggest you remove the plugs, spray some starting fluid (2 squirts) into the cylinders, replace the plugs and try to start it.
One question: how did you prime the carbs?
I also have some suggestions if your brother bent a rod, but it's not likely if he's truthful.
The engine should fire right away with the ether.
Get it to fire and work from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice! My brother only ran it for 30 minutes or so to test it. Before storing it, he added the fuel stabilizer, ran it a few minutes, blew all of the water out, washed it, and covered it. I live where the climate is relatively temperate, the temperature did not drop below 55f or go above 90f, so I think thats a good thing? As for the carbs, they were bone dry when I took the cover off after trying to start it several times. I assumed that the vacuum was or is not working so I poured a liitle premixed fuel into them, still noting. I will do as you suggested and see if that works.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did as you suggested with some some good results. The engine cranks but it still will not fire up. It seemed like it wanted to a few times, but nothing. I removed and cleaned the plugs several times, and when I went to start it that's when I got the best results. It wanted to start for about the first 3 seconds or so and then nothing. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You're almost there. It's really not a big issue, just getting gas to the engine.
First, I often have problems when pressure builds in the gas tank, so loosen the gas cap and relieve the pressure, tighten cap again because my cousin once forgot and lost it while riding. If it's been a while, go ahead and remove the plugs and do the starting fluid thing again to make sure it fires. (Gives you a little confidence anyway) When the plugs are reconnected, pull the choke all the way out and hold it out as far as it will go while you crank. It's going to take some time to get the gas to the engine, but be patient. Crank no longer than 10 second intervals, with 30 second rests so you don't harm the starter or the battery. It should fire up on the second or third round.

There are some mods you can do to get the gas to the engine quicker, but I prefer a stock boat...more time in the water than risking a worse problem by needless mods. There is one more trick where you can disconnect the fuel line at a brass coupling, blow through the return gas line (marked "return" with arrows) and wait for gas to arrive at the other end. Don't forget to put a cup below to catch the gas.

Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts