Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1997 Daytona 1000

24K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Kyle T 
#1 ·
Hello.
All of my local mechanics say that they're junk, and I don't believe them. Could you guys tell me if they have any problems, and what they are?
Thank you!:udaman:

#2 ·
:(Well I wish I could tell ya that they aren't junk, but they are. Artic cat used to make them and stopped after poor sales due to bad design. Don't take them in rough water they will beat apart.

#4 ·
parts availability is non existant except for Arctic Cat Parts, Snowmobiles, Atv, Generator Sales at Alpha Sports Center Arctic Cat Arctic Cat Four Wheelers Artic Cat ATV Arctic Cat Portable Generators home page (parts and diagrams) no one, repeat NO ONE will work on them. Not really junk, I don't think, just old and most you come across have not been stored or cared for properly. Make Sure you put it in water before you buy them and figure to run them one year and anything after that is a bonus. Good Luck!
P>S> I have one myself and had two but the other frustrated me so much my wife let me buy a new one (Kawasaki babe!)

#5 · (Edited)
Hello.
Yeah, I love alpha. That site has my sleds and my quads. That's where I am most of the time.
I can work on it. The engine is just like the Thundercat engine.
I like old stuff! My quad is older than I am.:laugh:
Yeah, that's a problem. It's a shame when people don't take care of their stuff.
Which one do you own?
Thank you!

#6 ·
I've been reading up and it seems that they have driveshaft problems and low speed stability problems. I can fix the driveshaft by simply making one (the updated kit from Cat costs over 550 clams, and that's BOGUS), but what about the low speed stability? How about bigger/more sponsons?
Thank you.

#7 ·
Hi there.

I have this same ski and all that everyone has said is sadly true. I have had mine for 2 years and have only gotten one season out of it. I lost a piston the first year and later the drive shaft. I got luck an found a new shaft on ebay so it running again.

For the good news it that sucker really goes. I can do quite a few tricks on it. It is unstable at low speed but since I ride it single that is a bonus. I can throw it around all over the place.

Saddly once again mine is running rough. Its time to sell it. I have recently purchased a Yamaha Wave Venture and am getting a Wave Blaster in the Tigersharks place.

#9 ·
The instability is a design, not a problem. I can now balance on the side of the ski while it is off.

Let me till you this. This ski is not for someone who is looking for a calm riding day. This sucker if fast and tippy allowing you to throw it all over the place. It takes some practice to ride well. Once you get it, its really fun.

It is a mechanical nightmare. If I do keep mine I will buy a new engine, just to have it ready to drop in.

For the mechanical issues I would not recommend this as a first or only ski. If you do have a second ski or can do the repairs yourself then I'd say go for it.

Block off the oil injection and premix. That is one less blown engine to worry about.

Oh ya I have a 1997 Tigershark Daytona 1000 Triple

#10 ·
Hello.
So it's supposed to be like that? Hmm...
Yeah, I'm looking for fast and fun. Calm and slow ain't my bag.
What makes it a nightmare exactly?
Why do you recommend a spare machine?
I can't really say about the oil injection thing. My Dad has been in the powersports business for over 40 years, and he's seen 2 oil pumps fail.
Awesome! That's just the machine I'm looking at learning about.
Thank you!

#11 ·
I have had this ski for two years. In that time I have had two pistons cook and the main shat strip. Neither of those because of maintenance problems. I have ridden the ski about 20 times but spent $1500 to buy it. 1600 for the two pistons and another 700 for the shaft repair. Oh ya. 500 for a starter and bendix replacement.

If I could do it again I would have rebuilt the engine for the beginning.

Not sure about the oil blockoff but if it even has a chance to happen it will on this ski!

#12 ·
Hello.
The pistons don't worry me. I've got that problem solved.
The driveshaft doesn't worry me either, I've got that problem solved too.
That's true.
Damn. You spent a lot on that thing. I hope you got what you paid for!
I would've bought an SBT engine, and replaced the pistons with Wisecos myself.
I'm not sure. That pump is almost identical to the one used on the 1993-2002 Thundercat, and I've heard of no failures on it. I don't like mixing if I don't have to. My quad needs to be premixed, so I'm limited to how far I can ride. With an injected boat, you can pull up and gas up (after paying 4 or so bucks a gallon:thumbsdown:) and be off.
Thank you.

#15 ·
dgold047

I have a 98 1000Ls. My dad bought it in hopes that my son and I could spend some time together. First, the starter has failed twice the repair bills have been a nightmare. I ride real hard, I burned a hole in the side of a piston and twisted the crankshaft. Repair bill 3800.00, Repaired crank, three new pistons and top end. Ran like a champ for six months. Scary fast, Took off on a long ride late one afternoon raced a Bass Boat for at least two miles at WFO. Beat the boat and ran the oil tank dry. Dumb Ass!!!!! Now I know by the metal shavings I found in the #3 reed cage... crankshaft berrings. It sits out under the carport and waits for another large cash injection and a removal of the Oil Injection system. I ask the repair shop about removing the Injection system after the last rebuild and the Owner Mr Dale Swanson himself of Dales Jet Sports who I've known for over twenty years says "I've never seen one fail on one of these so why don't we leave it"? What he was another Jumbo repair bill. Not this time!!! I will do it myself or stick a match to it before he gets me again. I do like the way it hauls ass, but the repairs are going to kill me.

#16 ·
I have a 98 1000Ls. My dad bought it in hopes that my son and I could spend some time together. First, the starter has failed twice the repair bills have been a nightmare. I ride real hard, I burned a hole in the side of a piston and twisted the crankshaft. Repair bill 3800.00, Repaired crank, three new pistons and top end. Ran like a champ for six months. Scary fast, Took off on a long ride late one afternoon raced a Bass Boat for at least two miles at WFO. Beat the boat and ran the oil tank dry. Dumb Ass!!!!! Now I know by the metal shavings I found in the #3 reed cage... crankshaft berrings. It sits out under the carport and waits for another large cash injection and a removal of the Oil Injection system. I ask the repair shop about removing the Injection system after the last rebuild and the Owner Mr Dale Swanson himself of Dales Jet Sports who I've known for over twenty years says "I've never seen one fail on one of these so why don't we leave it"? What he was another Jumbo repair bill. Not this time!!! I will do it myself or stick a match to it before he gets me again. I do like the way it hauls ass, but the repairs are going to kill me.

:laugh: :appl:

Dude?, what are you thinking??? Throwing all that cash on a ski that isn't even made any more. At the end of the day it still a old ski that is about worthless. For what you are spending and have spent you could buy a real ski LOL, I mean my RXT RIVA stage three would beat you so bad I would have to mail a post card so you know where I went. 76 mph on GPS, approx 300 HP, now that is a fast ski. Lord have mercy why beat your self up? Save your lungs from the blue smoke.

Wish Ya luck :Christo_pull_hair: :costumed-smiley-019

#17 ·
Just for the record I did not spend one dime on the repair bills. I am a Die Hard Kawasaki Fan. My father who bought this allbatros paid the repair bills. Yes it is all the same pocket but I will do the repairs myself this time. Not to say anything Bad about Dales Jet Sports repair work, but the price tag was way out of line. And now I don't have the lower end out of the hull yet, but the carbs and exhaust have been removed and as i said the large metal pieces found in the number three reed cage make me think berring or some piece from the crank.

#18 ·
Let me ask you did the motor seize up or just grenaded? More then likely if it did grenade then yes probably crankshaft and bearings. How are the jugs? While you got it apart throw in some V-Force reeds and cages. They always performed well in my Skidoos.

Glad you didn't pay the tab OUCH!!!!:smilie_schreck::smashfreakB:

#20 ·
When I shut it down it had been running at full throtle for most of about seven or eight minutes on very smooth water. I heard it make this grinding noise coming from the bottom end I shut it down hooked a rope on the nose called my brother on the cell phone and told him to bring the trsiler and where to find me. I was still at least four miles from home. I pulled the head off of the # 3 and there was no damage to head or sleeve that I could see. To get the motor out they recomend you pull the jugs and pistons before you remove the lower end. But what gave me the blues the first time was that exhaust system. Who designed that thing? Four allen bolts and two nuts on studs that are hidden and allmost impossible to remove Good luck to anybody on their first time removing the exhaust.

#21 ·
Hey Veritechc, how much are you looking to get for yours? Also, if you need help trying to fix your trim motor, I'll help you. I borrowed a manual from my local dealer on the 97 Daytonas.

So from what I can tell so far:
They fall apart (could be do to lack of maintenance)
No one works on them (I can)
Old and lack of maintenance (I can fix to a certain extent)
Driveshafts break (I'm designing a custom stronger one)
Burns down (I'm rebuilding/modifing the engine anyway)
Starter and bendix fail (Rebuild/replace)
Cranks twist (I'm having my crank welded)

Dgold, don't destroy it, sell it. How much do you want for it?

Thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.