Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought first ski, I was told that it would turn over but not start but has been sitting for 2 years. I got a battery, pulled the plugs and sprayed WD40 in the cylinders. Nothing happens when I hit the green start button, no solenoid click or anything, no lights on the dash, just dead. All the wiring appears intact and plugged in. Is there a key that needs to be turned on, or does the kill switch plug need to be engaged (I don’t have one yet but could open it with a screwdriver or something) I just figured it would turn over and am not concerned with spark yet. I reasonably mechanically inclined but this is the first PWC or 2 stroke I’ve messed with, am I missing anything obvious? Should it not at least turn over with a fresh battery bu simply pushing the start button? If the instrument panel is bad would it keep it from turning over? I bought a service manual off eBay and it arrives tomorrow, I’ll be digging into the wiring diagram when it gets here, just want to ensure Im not missing something easy or stupid. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your not getting any lights or soleniod click, I suspect its a key, kill switch, fuse, or bad ground wire. what model/year is the ski as older ones didnt have keys. I had a similar problem once with my 96 XP, and found that the ground wire from battery to engine block was dirty...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check fuse in front of pump in black box. Or you may have to use code under mode setting. Not positive on your particular unit for code. Your new book should let you know how to get around code if needed. Check fuse and ground first. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just bought first ski, I was told that it would turn over but not start but has been sitting for 2 years. I got a battery, pulled the plugs and sprayed WD40 in the cylinders. Nothing happens when I hit the green start button, no solenoid click or anything, no lights on the dash, just dead. All the wiring appears intact and plugged in. Is there a key that needs to be turned on, or does the kill switch plug need to be engaged (I don’t have one yet but could open it with a screwdriver or something) I just figured it would turn over and am not concerned with spark yet. I reasonably mechanically inclined but this is the first PWC or 2 stroke I’ve messed with, am I missing anything obvious? Should it not at least turn over with a fresh battery bu simply pushing the start button? If the instrument panel is bad would it keep it from turning over? I bought a service manual off eBay and it arrives tomorrow, I’ll be digging into the wiring diagram when it gets here, just want to ensure Im not missing something easy or stupid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the reply. The ground lug was corroded at the ring terminal, replaced the ring terminal and it turned over. Did a compression check and it has a hole in one piston and only 70 lbs in the other 2 cylinders. Tore it down farther and found bad crank seals. I was gonna rebuild it, but, after seeing the cost of a crank kit and top end kit, it’s cheaper to just send it off to have it rebuilt with a warrantee. Any recommendations on rebuilders?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, cant help you there, but happy we could help, and I suspected a bad ground from the beginning...lol good luck, and hope you didnt spend too much on it without knowing the crankcase situation..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts