Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am having a weird problem with my ski.

I used it for the first time last summer with no issues, but I just broke it out for this year and the problem is when I start it, it shoots up to 5000-6000rpm. It was totally fine when I winterized it. Could it be the gas stabilizer I put in the tank? The tank was full like you're supposed to do when u winterize.

I also tried taking off the flame arrestor, and using carb cleaner & changed the spark plugs which seemed like they needed changing anyway. All linkages and cables are find. No kinks..linkages move perfectly.

There is a choke cable that I never used. The previous owner said it never really worked, so when i take it out, I just have to spray some starter spray into the carb. Doing that once seems to last the whole day starting and restarting. from what I've read, this is a common issue with this ski.

As the ski was revving like crazy, I just tried pulling pulling the choke out it all of a sudden, it goes to normal idle speed, but when I hit the gas, it stalls.

It actually seemed to run a bit smoother since I changed the spark plugs, but it still has the original problem. It almost seems like a car when you first start it, it stays at a high RPM to warm up, but eventually goes down to a normal idle when its warm. Maybe a problem with the computer?

Kind of a newbie here, so any help would b appreciated. I'm dieing to get out there!!

TIA

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2000 xl 800. The carbs were dirty. Most likely the engine is running very lean which make the engine rev uncontrolable. Rebuild the carbs an pay close attention to the idle circuit. Remove any plugs that you can and clean it well. It only takes a little dirt to do it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts