Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at these 2 jet skis for sale. I've been told the GSX is faster but which is the best buy? the GSX is single trailer and looks nice for $1800. the XP is on a double trailer that comes with a 1996 Polaris Sxlt 1200 3 seater that needs a rebuild they want the same price $1800. thanks

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Depends what you want. The XP is a more aggressive design, basically like a crotch rocket on the water. The GSX is more stable. Both have the 800 engine. Which was SeaDoo's best 2 stroke. If you want to carry a passenger the XP is out of question.

The XP is a better deal as I'm sure you can sell the broken Polaris for at least a few hundred and a good condition double trailer is worth at least $500.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been talking to the guy that's selling the XP he said he'll sell the ski by itself for $1100. I figure I can talk him down some more... as long as it runs like it should that is. I don't know how much a single trailer will cost though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alrighty, I've been stalking craigslist around here and cant find very many, actually just 2 trailers for sale for a single jet ski. But I'm gonna keep looking, right now my dad has a double trailer that has 2 Yamaha 650s on it one doesn't have an engine, so I might make due with that until I find a trailer on the cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I go to look at the XP what do I need to look for? I'm going to test drive it before buying, but what are signs of problems that I should look out for?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
When I go to look at the XP what do I need to look for? I'm going to test drive it before buying, but what are signs of problems that I should look out for?
Buy a compression gauge. (Screw in type, not plug in type) I think the compression on an 800 should be 140-150 psi but google it and check to be sure because I'm not 100% certain. Ask how often he changed the jet pump oil.<-- Should be at the end of each season. See if it has the original gray tempo fuel lines, if so you'll need to replace those.

If the compression is within spec, runs/rides well I'd go for it. Best of luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. So, I went and took a look at it today. It doesn't run bad, didn't check the compression, but I'm probably going back and will check it when I test drive it. The engine didn't run bad the body however was a little beat up. I haven't offered any money on it though. I got to talking back and forth and he has already gone down to $900. The trim doesn't work the seat has a little rip in it. Needs paint. the Hull at the peak all the way down is scrapped off paint. gas gauge doesn't work, and it needs the rubber bumper on the rear and the foot pad on the front top piece is gone. so I'm thinking its gonna need around $400 in it if I do the work myself. Is it still worth it? He'll probably go down even more. I might offer him $700 and see??

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I don't know but from what you describe it sounds like it was neglected. If he just let it sit outside in the elements chances are he didn't give a rats arse about maintenance either. Personally I'd keep looking for a better shape specimen, even if you have to pay a little more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so you don't think $750 is worth it? I mean nothing is wrong with the engine and drivetrain that I know of. It really just looks like it has been sitting out in the sun for a long time without a cover. I really think it is all cosmetic stuff, nothing mechanical

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I figured that If I could get him to go $800 or less I would feel better about it. I haggled with him and got him down to $750. I'm gonna check compression and test drive it hopefully on Saturday. I feel good about $750 the engine compartment looked good, no corrosion or oil, but when I run it I will see for sure. I'll probably sand the body down and paint it with the Walmart special rattle can flat black on the top. I don't know what I plan on the bottom tho. The guy said he has only had it a couple of months now, he bought it and now has a baby on the way. He said he ran a whole tank of gas this past Sunday without any problems. Like I said when he cranked it up it cranked right away, and it sounded good kept an idle and didn't bog down. so I feel good about $750.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts