Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks,
I have a 1997 Sea-Doo Bombardier GSI that has recently been giving me some issues. After a lot of trial and error, the issue has been narrowed down to a dead ECM/MPEM. Problem is, I can鈥檛 find a replacement one anywhere! 馃く
Apparently this specific model is extremely hard to find and I鈥檓 attaching a picture of mine for reference. Wondering if anyone in the forum knows of one for sale or could help point me in the right direction. Any help is greatly appreciated and hope to be out on the water again with you all soon 馃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the input Flare1. I reached out to Nick at Westside PowerSports and unfortunately based off the instructions he sent me, the component is dead and beyond bringing back from the grave :cry: Would definitely recommend him and his brother Jess though for MPEM/ECM issues!

Registered
Simplest and quickest option is buy a working 1997 Seadoo and have extra parts as you will need them, it's an old Ski and asking Manufacturers to keep making parts for Ski's over 20 years old is a bit much.
Aftermarket Companies will always take up the slack if the Vehicle is a popular one and needs parts regularly.
I had two Kawasaki 550 Pole Skis that I got rid of as buying a working Ski to get a part was getting annoying and costly and once I had a ride on a 2008 Jet Ski, I thought to myself why on Earth am I wasting time on my old crap Skis.
I am talking a few years back when the 2008 wasn't as old as they are now, I have kept my 2008 purely because it's still the same Engine as the new ones today, newer additions and better Superchargers probably but basically the same, parts are easy to get and I have three service agents with in 7 minutes of my House :)
I had none for my Pole Skis as they all shut shop or stopped doing Two Strokes.
Sell your Ski and get something that was built this Century, you will be glad you did as you will have more fun riding a Ski that works ;).
Oh by the way I was an Electronics Engineer certified 1982 lol, things have changed a lot but, why I say this is that an Electronic part may be dead, but if you find the Dead part and Google it's part number you will find it online as Electronic parts are never a one off, if you can't find the part number put in how many pins it has and what ever specs are on the Chip/Part, you can usually find an alternate that does close enough to the same, they may even list alternates when you put in the part number ?
I have repaired Electronics that were supposedly dead and useless with at times parts that only cost $2 and a bit of a steady hand and a good Soldering Station :)
A picture of the back would have been handy showing the parts as the front looks in excellent condition for it's age.
Just as a silly question, you did check the fuses and make sure where they plugged into were making a correct connection ? Bad Fuse connection gives the same result as a blown fuse.
Good luck

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like used on Ebay might be your best bet:
Appreciate the heads up Gramps, I鈥檝e been on the prowl and haven鈥檛 come across this specific model. Apparently, the GTI version, of which there is currently one on EBay, could fit my seadoo, but due to the lack of two bottom connection ports, the seadoo wouldn鈥檛 have a trim/display system. So that may be the best bet for a temporary stopgap, however, long term I鈥檓 looking for an identical model.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simplest and quickest option is buy a working 1997 Seadoo and have extra parts as you will need them, it's an old Ski and asking Manufacturers to keep making parts for Ski's over 20 years old is a bit much.
Aftermarket Companies will always take up the slack if the Vehicle is a popular one and needs parts regularly.
I had two Kawasaki 550 Pole Skis that I got rid of as buying a working Ski to get a part was getting annoying and costly and once I had a ride on a 2008 Jet Ski, I thought to myself why on Earth am I wasting time on my old crap Skis.
I am talking a few years back when the 2008 wasn't as old as they are now, I have kept my 2008 purely because it's still the same Engine as the new ones today, newer additions and better Superchargers probably but basically the same, parts are easy to get and I have three service agents with in 7 minutes of my House :)
I had none for my Pole Skis as they all shut shop or stopped doing Two Strokes.
Sell your Ski and get something that was built this Century, you will be glad you did as you will have more fun riding a Ski that works ;).
Oh by the way I was an Electronics Engineer certified 1982 lol, things have changed a lot but, why I say this is that an Electronic part may be dead, but if you find the Dead part and Google it's part number you will find it online as Electronic parts are never a one off, if you can't find the part number put in how many pins it has and what ever specs are on the Chip/Part, you can usually find an alternate that does close enough to the same, they may even list alternates when you put in the part number ?
I have repaired Electronics that were supposedly dead and useless with at times parts that only cost $2 and a bit of a steady hand and a good Soldering Station :)
A picture of the back would have been handy showing the parts as the front looks in excellent condition for it's age.
Just as a silly question, you did check the fuses and make sure where they plugged into were making a correct connection ? Bad Fuse connection gives the same result as a blown fuse.
Good luck
Zestrel, you are awesome. I picked this seadoo up from my Dad who鈥檚 had it since it was brand new. He barely rode it and kept it garages year-round, so I took a chance on it since it was in 鈥渋mmaculate condition鈥. Problem is, when things aren鈥檛 used regularly, they always seem to break down faster (that鈥檚 at least the case with the dumper of an RV I bought from my old man too). I currently have it stashed at Pop鈥檚 place and won鈥檛 be over there for some time to pry it off and take a picture of the back. I will update you when I do that. I trusted my mechanic when he did his testing, as well as the directions given to me by Nick at Westside PowerSports, and apparently it鈥檚 dead. Maybe I should ship it to them anyways in case our testing didn鈥檛 go right because you are keenly observant that the unit is in excellent condition. What I believe happened though was some trickery with a battery replacement that may have caused the electrical problems with the MPEM. And yes, I did check all the fuses and it was the one 5 amp fuse second from the bottom (missing in the picture) that kept blowing, until I eventually stuck a 25 amp fuse that didn鈥檛 blow (7.5, 10, and 15 all blew). Stator is apparently in great condition, it just all hinges on this ultra rare, vibranium-like model that I can鈥檛 get a hold of.
Thank you for your input Zestrel, I will indeed upgrade at some point in life, but only once these pesky school loans are paid off!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts