Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums for an issue i am having but cant find a match. So Thanks for all who respond in advanced.

I have a 97 Seadoo GSX that I purchased new in 97. I have changed fuel/oil lines rebuilt carbs/ravs. I feel like i know how to work on my ski but i am having a funny issue.

When I put the ski in the water it starts and revs fine but there is little to no propulsion. The RPM gauge shoots up to 5000 but the ski barely moves. When I put the VTS in the down position the ski takes off but not as fast as normal. still no hole shot but it will take off and run about 1/2 speed.

I checked the grate and it is intact. Should the impeller turn with the engine? or freely? I plan to take off the grate and check the impeller.

Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 98 gsx 951 and i had the same problem the other day. I didn,t know what was wrong but when i got home i pulled the pump and come to find out my impeller was lose it had moved forward and cut to small places in the hull. well back to your ? no it should not spin freely.i would check you pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The more online research I'm doing it sounds like a wear ring issue. That is about a $60 dollar fix. Just need to find time work on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
97 GSX no thrust fix

I have a 97 GSX. The ski had very slow hole shot. 5,000 RPM and 5MPH. I replaced the wear ring. Propulsion was a little better. I found on a forum a easy fix. Loosen the rear clamp on the black boot where the drive shaft exits the hull. Slide the boot forward and install a medium heavy cable tie to hold the boot forward. The space filled is 1/4 inch. Tighten the boot clamp. I then cut the cable tie off. Back on the water I had perfect propulsion/ hole shot. Hang On. The problem was caused by the pump was pulling air between the Carbon Ring and the Chrome seal. Moving the boot forward applies more sealing pressure. The permanent fix is to replace the Carbon Ring and the Chrome Ring if it is damaged. First fix cost little to nothing and takes 15 min. Permanent fix cost $100 for parts and one hour to complete.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Carbon ring pre-load is important along with your impeller clearance. Happens a lot when ropes get stuck around your driveshaft and push out the seal a little. Could have bad seal on the pump to hull or ride plate also. Might have to take everything apart and re-install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1997 SeaDoo GSX

I have the same issue. Rev's no propulsion. I hope I can slide the boot up and all will be well. If not I will go for the propeller being lose. I have no mechanical experience with these things. Thought I found a good deal and so far this ski has been nothing but problems. Bad oil pump, this, some smart aleck put diamond plate for foot pads. I'm too old for this. I just wanted a ski I could tool around on with my kids.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have the same issue. Rev's no propulsion. I hope I can slide the boot up and all will be well. If not I will go for the propeller being lose. I have no mechanical experience with these things. Thought I found a good deal and so far this ski has been nothing but problems. Bad oil pump, this, some smart aleck put diamond plate for foot pads. I'm too old for this. I just wanted a ski I could tool around on with my kids.
Hey guy, sorry to hear about your luck. As far as can tell it sounds like you need to replace the wear ring, it is a consumable much like a clutch. It is designed to be a sacrificial lamb should should you ingest something into the impeller similar to a cotter pin. It is ceramic when it wears out you just replace it.

See Ya:062:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts