Personal Water Craft Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not to go completely off-topic on this thread, but is that the voltage I should be expecting out of my battery? I have one ski with a battery that reads 12.2V standing (haven't measured it running) and it starts every time, but on my other ski the battery reads 11.6V and it will not start. The starter motor still cranks, and I've pulled the plugs to make sure they're sparking, so I assumed the battery wasn't the problem. Could I still be wrong? Should I replace the battery?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That is exactly what I found

Not to go completely off-topic on this thread, but is that the voltage I should be expecting out of my battery? I have one ski with a battery that reads 12.2V standing (haven't measured it running) and it starts every time, but on my other ski the battery reads 11.6V and it will not start. The starter motor still cranks, and I've pulled the plugs to make sure they're sparking, so I assumed the battery wasn't the problem. Could I still be wrong? Should I replace the battery?

12.2 is a little low for a fully charged battery
11.6 is definitely low and from what I have read and experienced it is just TOO low to start it ( yamaha specifically).

At the very least you could try swapping your better battery to the other and test.

My guess as to what is going on, is it might be two things.
1 - the starter needs to spin the crank fast enough for the stator to produce the necessary and expected voltage to charge up the capacitors in the ignition
2 - the ecm needs a certain voltage to operate correctly.

so whilst cranking the voltage drops below the necessary volts for the ecm, even though the crank is spinning fast enough to charge capacitors.

My 1986 225hp evinrude is more forgiving in that respect, but have read of similar symptoms with the DFI engines

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Technically, a full charged battery should read 12.6v. each of it's 6 cells carrying 2.1v. that being said. a battery carrying 11.6 has probably lost 1 cell. And most times won't be strong enough to start a vehicle. Ski or otherwise.
With ski running at moderate RPM should read about 13.5/14v.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Technically, a full charged battery should read 12.6v. each of it's 6 cells carrying 2.1v. that being said. a battery carrying 11.6 has probably lost 1 cell. And most times won't be strong enough to start a vehicle. Ski or otherwise.
With ski running at moderate RPM should read about 13.5/14v.
WORD (what he said)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts