Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I'm new to this forum. Just bought my neighbors 97 waverunner last weekend and on the maiden trip with my son yesterday it quit. We suspected a weak battery, but after reading on this forum I decided to check the spark plugs, and yep! the forward plug has bits of aluminum and it looks like the cyclinder is full of aluminum frags :thumbsdown:. The cylinder is at the top of the stroke. Several questions:
1) anyone know the approx. cost of a rebuild on a Yamaha 1200 GP? are there crate motor replacements?:dunno:
2) does the seller have any liability with this? this discovery was a huge disappointment, but it is what it is and I've got to move forward. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hopefully if it isn't stuck to bad you can get by with honing the cylinder and replacing the piston. Problem is you still need to figure out why it burnt down

Three things can make a piston stick, lack of oil, to lean of a fuel mix and high heat. Make sure your oil lines are ok and check the carbs for gunk.

New engine is probably $5,000.00.

Did you sea trial the ski before you purchased it?

If the seller sold it "as is" your screwed. Two little words have a lot of clout.

If not then you may have something there. But unless they voluntarily help you out, you may have a tough road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Outlaw. $5K seems high for a motor, but I'll have to start looking. We did sea trial the ski and it appeared to run OK, but we didn't run it for long.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A new engine would run you over $5000.............definitely not worth it IMO, since you could buy a used modern 4 stroke for a little more, and forget all the problems that come with 2 stroke models.

If you want to fix the GP1200 and have some mechanical skills the best route would be to get the engine rebuilt. The 2 most popular places for rebuilt engines would be SBT: SBT Jetski Engines, Parts & Accessories, and PWC Engine: Water Craft, Sport Boat Parts & Rebuilt Engines | PWC Engine

I'm guessing cost would run around $2000 for your model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts