Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife bought this ski a few days ago. Has 41 hrs. Smokes like madd. I mean white thick cloudy smoke (she bought sellers claim that they all do it). Yes 2-strokes smoke but never like this. Ran it at the lake and it sounds good and initially had tons of power. After about an hour of riding it, now it won't go above approx. 10 mph and shuts off. Restarts fine, like limp mode or something but no light comes on, no smells, doesn't appear hot. Light works when key first turned on.

Ok, so this jetski has a bunch of performance racing stickers on it like some owner hopped it up. The carbs are blue and each carb has it's own chrome air cleaner. It appears aftermarket as it doesn't match any pictures I has seen so far. Engine sounds throuty, like a bad-a$$ dragster.

It still has direct oil injection hooked up.

Not sure where to start. I initially think the plugs are fouled is why it won't go above 10 or so and keeps shutting off. On other engines, I'd set the carbs by turning in the mixture screw all the way in then backing out 1 1/2 turns. I haven't done that yet. Anyone have an information on these carbs and what else to check? I was thinking about taking it to the dealer but on other occations with other equipment they would look over and say they don't have a clue, please pay $$$ for us to tell you that. Labor pool quality here is not too good.

Anyways, no manual yet, on the way. Haven't done anything except bring back home. Going to play with tonight. What would be your list of things to check?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a 98 STX 1100 myself a few days ago. I can't recommend you anything yet but there is a Manual for a 98 Kawi ZXI 1100 on google which is almost the same from what I read. Hope that helps.. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I actually took it to the dealer and they said my #1 piston was at 120psi and the other two were at 145psi. I know this is more than a 10% spread but it doesn't really explain the smoking to me. They want to tear down and said a top-end job would be around $1k. Seems pretty high and they are not even sure that will fix it. As suspected, dealer is clueless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts