Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I own a 1998 GSX Limited, and recently my ski had about a 40% REDUX in power. The motor sounds fine, and if it wasn't from the loss of power I would have no clue anything was wrong. It does bog a bit during acceleration, but this is easily controlled by gently squeezing the throtlle vs yanking it. I recently took it to a dealer and they cleaned both Carbs and replaced the plugs. That had absolutely NO EFFECT. I feel like I was robbed blind. $450 and the ski is actually slightly worse than before it was in the shop. They did say that compression was that of a brand new motor. After I took got it back from the shop, I noticed that alot more water than normal was in the hull of the craft when I was done riding. (Which wasn't very long) Could this REDUX in power be caused by an exhaust leak? I have no clue what to do next...any help is greatly appreciated!!!

UPDATE: I filled my hull with water, and a leak became very evident. The coupling through which the speed sensor wiring enters the hull of the craft was completely removed. The dealer must have forgotten to put it back on. (I asked them to find out why my speedometer doesn't work) I still don't think this would cause the total loss of power though; just something to make me a bit more frustrated with the dealer that quite literally returned my ski in worse condition than when I gave it to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More info!!!

I did some reading on the RAVE valves, and I think that cleaning them might be a bit over my head. It sounded a bit tricky. I guess it could never hurt to give it a shot. I would assume that the dealer would have checked the reed valves while they had the carbs removed. I am new to PWC ownership, but I believe the reed valves are directly below where the carbs attach to the engine. Seems like it would have been something simple to check while the ski was torn apart.

I was messing around with my ski this morning, and had a hose hooked up to it. I noticed that when the water is on, and the engine is off, water leaks through the gasket where the intake connects to the engine block. This can't be good. Surely if water can get out, exhaust would be able to do the same. I am also assuming that the dealer had to remove the exhaust manifold to access the carbs. I noticed an allen bolt was missing at this junction as well. I can't say that the dealer failed to replace it, because I am not 100% certain that it was there when I dropped it off. I am pretty sure it was though.

My tachometer is INOP, so I can't tell what my RPM's are at!!

UPDATE: I decided to disassemble the RAVE Valve assembly. When I released the clip that holds assembly in place it appeared as though the spring that holds the gasket in place had already been dislodged. I have included pics. It appeared as though somebody had disassembled it before, and during reassembly the spring slipped or something. I then took the next layer of parts off, and saw an oily mess. This might be normal, but I have never done this before. Please let me know if this should be expected, or if it is a sign of a larger problem. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey there, you are correct about the reed valves and cages. A broken reed valve will cause a bog the motor will still run but the broken reed floods the carb. I learned this running Skidoo snowmobiles. The only time your RAVE valves would have a problem is when they are stuck open. The function of the valve is to close some at low enginge RPMS for better back pressure, then they open to allow more exhaust flow at high RPMS for better performance. Every time I broke a reed the motor would bog. Then you got to find the piece that broke. Two strokes can be tricky since they do not have a good low powerband and low torgue.

Now, The other thing is you should never have water going thru the ski when the motor is off, it will flood your crankcase and hydrolock the engine. Your exhaust looks a mess if your dealer did that, I would put it on you tube. Thats bogus. :costumed-smiley-019:angry-smiley-014:

Well good luck

See Ya :reiter:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Outlaw!

I really appreciate your input on that Outlaw!! The RAVE cylinders seemed like a likely culprit since the motor would do relatively fine at low speed/rpm, but then at higher rpm it just didn't seem to open fully. Instead of topping out at 65MPH, I was trolling along at a mere 30-35MPH. It was upsetting to say the least.

I just sat down after cleaning the RAVE assembly. I am pretty sure the problem can be attributed to piston#2. The first piston had some issues with a spring clip on a gasket, but it wouldn't have caused a drastic REDUX in engine power. However, the second piston appeared to be seized. It was fairly difficult to remove from the motor. I was still able to remove it by hand, but I could definitely tell that it would have had problems moving, especially since it is activated purely by pressure. I think even a solenoid would have had problems moving it. I cleaned them, and then reassembled.

As for the hose, that was probably my bad. But the engine was already hydrolocked. I asked the moron dealer to take a look at why the speedometer wasn't working. Well, they looked at it; but when they were done they failed to reattach the coupling to the hull of the craft. (I've attached a picture) Essentially what happened was the ski died in the middle of the lake and took on water. It probably would have sank if it hadn't been from a friendly couple that towed me and my wife back to shore. By the time we got it to shore it was almost completely submersed. I wish I would have taken a picture of that. I tried several times after that to start the motor and I am pretty sure I can actually hear water in the engine. Do you have any idea what to do about a hydrolocked motor? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but I'd like to know a little something about it before I go.

I think from now on I am going to rely on these forums for my maintenance needs. I was able to clean the RAVE assembly by myself with $15 worth the tools because of people like you. I can't even tell you how much I appreciate the help!!

UPDATE!!! I just got the engine to run again. I took the plugs out, and cranked it for a little while. This allowed the motor to spit out the water. I had to do this about 10 times to get it all out. I finally sprayed the plugs with ether, and put a little gas straight into the cylinders. It started. I'm gonna take it to the lake tomorrow and see if the power has returned. I am guessing it will run like a champ. After I pull it out of the water i am gonna take it back to the dealer and have them redo the carbs (since they were flooded), fix the exhaust (even if the allen bolts were missing, they should have told me, I would have paid the $5 for two allen bolts), fix the wiring going into the hull, and most importantly REFUND MY MONEY since they damn near sank my ski and the carbs were never the problem in the first place.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts