Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 TS640L that I have been having some trouble with. I went out to the lift to start it the other day and when I turned it over all I got was the starter spinning. The gears would not engage to turn the motor over. I replaced the starter, and now I get the same thing I cannot get the start to sit where it needs to be. I pulled the cover off that is on the front of the motor by the flyweel to see if that would help me set it. When I got to put that cover back on it pushes the starter right back away from the gears. What should I do to get this fixed. I need some ideas as I am completely clueless. Please help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
sounds like the starter bendix is frozen up. you should be able to remove it without removing the flywheel. it is possible to soak the bendix in solvent and get it working, but IS NOT recommend as this is just a temp fix if it works at all. you can get a new bendix/starter drive at any arctic cat dealer or online.

if you must remove the flywheel to take the bendix out, you need a 3 arm bolt on type puller available at most auto parts stores as a loaner

remember to put marine grease on the o-ring seal on the front of the starter, and graphite grease on the starter drive end and thrust washers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts