Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking into buying a pair of skis from a friend of mine. these will be my first so i know next to nothing about seadoo's. one of the skis is a 1998 xp limited and it wont start. the starter cranks the motor fine but it just wont seem to fire up. every now and then it will sputter like one cylinder fired but wont get going.

now this ski has been sitting for some time so i am sure it will be stuburn. i checked the sparkplugs to see if they were fouled but it didnt look to bad at all.

so i have run out of ideas and i just dont know enough about seadoo's. can anyone help me out with some tips or something to get this thing running?

·
Registered
6 Posts
carbs carbs carbs

I'd suggest getting the carbs rebuilt, if your handy with tools and skilled in not dropping nuts and bolts you night be able to pull it off, but a mistake can cost hundreds.

pay attention to the pencil eraser sized fuel filter under the carb covers. If your fuel lines are gray and say "tempo" on them, this filter is likely plugged with goo.

change _all_ the fuel lines and clean the carb out well, while it's open put new parts inside ( about 80 for a quality carb kit) don't forget to change the carb base gasket too.

Maybe a couple of afternoons of work, but if you can afford it, have a pro do it and enjoy riding the ski.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will check the fuel lines and see if I want to try the carb myself.

How about any less labor intensive things to try before that? Like is there a fuel filter inline before the carbs? Fuses mayby?

·
Registered
6 Posts
no easy way out of doing the job the right way

I'm afraid thre isn't a shortcut..except to pay somebody else to do it while you lounge, have a few bears and bbq with the boys.

it's been done by novices..but paying carful attention is the key. having good quality screwdrivers and some blue loctite on hand is a must.

You can also pull the carbs off and send them to somebody to rebuild too..taht'll save a couple of bucks and leave you to just deal with the intake manifold gaskets and throttle/oil cable.

Since a thousand or two is on the table here if you mung it up, it's up to you to decide how good your hand is before laying down your bets..

if you've run the ski in salt water, the other guy is holding aces.

if you sniff around the forums, you'll find some how too's and maybe a link or two to a video.

good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts