Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, after having the WC for about 2 months I have yet to get it running. I have spent hours working on it, and just as many trying to research it.

I bought the machine from a buddy. He had the 98xp and a 96 xp. They were both dropped off to a small boat shop for maintenance, and sat for 2 years. After a while he picked them up and the guy said that the 96 needed a starter, and the 98 had seized up. The guy said that he had it sitting with the nose down filling the hull and engine with water.

My buddy asked if I would change the starter in the 96, and if I wanted the 98 for cheap. I told him I’d consider buying it. The 96 wound up just having a dead battery, and was a fun ride the following week at camp. After riding the 96 all weekend and seeing the wrong diagnosis I was excited for the 98 and decided to buy it after putting a battery in it and seeing it was not seized at all.

I am not a jet ski guy to be honest, or much of a 2-stroke mechanic but all around pretty good so I did the basics when trying to get something started: new plugs, fresh gas, check the spark, and whatnot. It had spark, but weak so found out how to test the stator and it passed the tests I was able to find online. I decided to try a new coil. New coil still didn’t have amazing spark, but should have been enough for at least a pop on starting fluid... which it would not do. I did a compression check, which yielded 40 and 60. I pulled it apart and found broken rings. I ordered a top end and put it on today. I forgot to bring my comp tester to my buddies where I’m working on it, but will check it tomorrow.

It still will not pop on starting fluid, gas in the carb, or even gas right into the cylinder. The only pop I was getting was when I would stop cranking out of the exhaust. After messing with it it started to pop out of the carb, but only at the instant I STOPPED cranking, which I felt was odd. To be honest after messing with it the coil wires may have been put on backwards for the last 2 cranks that gave a backfire out of the carbs.

I took the carbs off and when I give it throttle the accelerator pump gives the one carb a shot of gas. Also, they are clean inside. With the carbs off I cranked it to see if the r-valve moved, which it did. It also seemed like it actually was trying to fire with the carbs removed! Only for a few turns, but strange either way as I can’t get it to even try to fire any other way.

Tomorrow I am going to do a compression check, and look in the one oil hose for brass from the rotary valve. Other than that, I’m not sure what to try. Does anybody have any ideas? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the compression, 125-130 on each cylinder. I know it’s low but the rings haven’t set yet either; however it should be enough for something to happen.

I checked the oil line under the carbs, no brass.

I also measured the space between the rotary valve and the cover. The front is 0.013 and the rear is 0.012.

I double checked the coil wires, those are also correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I make some blockoff plates to do a leakdown test; however the carb plates aren’t sealing well, I will try to seal them up better tomorrow. But as far as I can tell I don’t see any leaks, but im not exactly sure where to look.

One of the rave valves Is missing the spring, I read this can cause low power and hard starting, but would this be causing the no start all together?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts