Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum as I just picked up my first wave runner as a project.
I got a 1998 Yamaha GP 760, the guy said it died on him and now will only crank if the spark plugs are removed. I havenot tried messing with it yet but plan to hook power up to it this week. Any advise on where to start checking would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it won't kick over with compression then I would say one of two things, bad battery or bad starter.
Either the Battery has dropped a cell or just doesn't have the amps to turn the Engine with torque or the starter needs new brushes or has been under water to many times with out getting rinsed properly and may be corroded and so the power isn't getting to it fully, or could be a bad connection.
So take starter out and give it a clean and check brushes, get the battery tested with load and check all connections, maybe undo them all give them a clean and then reconnect.
Good luck with the Antique.
Not sure why people buy things that others have tried to get working, can't and then try and sell so that another can have the problems.
My Father always told me, never buy something that won't do what it's supposed to do on the day you buy it as then you are just buying some one else's problems.
No one sells an item not working if it can be fixed for a price that isn't more than the cost of an actual working version ;).
I did the same thing a few years back on two Pole Skis, ended up costing me more than I could have bought two working and the amount of time it took to find parts as well as all the troubles with old carburettors that just wouldn't adjust properly.
In the end I sold them, at least they started first kick and I couldn't get more than the price I originally paid for them lol.
I ended up buying a newer four stroke and haven't had a problem since as I get it serviced every year, don't touch it myself, I go to work for the day instead and make how much the service cost and let the experts do what they know how to do and can jump on my Ski anytime with out worrying that I didn't tighten something or fix something incorrectly and be stranded out on the Ocean as I see at least one or two every time we go to our local spot :)
I hope for your sake it's a simple battery or starter, cheers and happy Jet Skiing :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts