Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am new here. I have a 2000 gp1200r, that the oil line came off the 3rd cylinder and ruined the engine (cylinder, piston, crank, upper crank case). I found someone selling a motor that came out of a 1999 1200 ltd. The original ski was totaled (am being told had 40-50 hours). The complete motor (engine, carbs, exhaust, everything)was pulled and has been sitting in storage for 5 years. The seller said he will let me pull the head and inspect the cylinders for corrosion. Do you think this is necessary, if yes, and I don't find any problems can I assume the bottom end is OK?

I will of course perform a compression test and look for 110-120 psi. Also to be clear the motor, carbs, exhaust is all connected like it is in the ski. My question is about possible problems because the engine has ben sitting so long

·
Registered
47 Posts
compression test

are you saying your going to buy first then install and ck compression, just wondering how your going to ck comp.?,hook up a battery to the starter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes hook the battery up the starter. I thought I would put a little oil on top of the piston and let it drain down the cylinders walls

I am planning on doing this before I buy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
checking inside

any idea if this xlt was ridden in salt water or fresh water?Is there anyway he'll let you open the casings and examine the crank(rod,bearings,rings etc.)if saltwater got in there might need a rebuild...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I dont know. But when I pull the head maybe I would see corrosion in the water jackets of the cylinders. I doubt I will be be able to open the casings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
totaled

when you say "totaled" do mean a head on accident? do you know if the ski was totaly submersed in water,its something you want to think about...btw the waterjackets will have normal build up of crud inside, when i pulled my head off after 30 hrs to get milled for more compression, i had that salt water crud, Flushing regularly and using Salt Away will keep it under control, you have to assume the former owner did that, good luck:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was not submersed or ran in salt water are you concerned that it has been sitting for 5 years?

·
Registered
47 Posts
5 yrs

the time factor isn't a concern in my opinion, sat around engines are bought and sold all the time.Being able to examine the cylinder heads, pistons and especially the crank not to mention the flywheel gear damage or missing teeth.Just wondering if water got into the crank....:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts