Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem with GP1200X (not a 1200R - no cat converter):
Can start in driveway (and rev up with water hose) no problem, but will not start at lake (twice this summer!). Tested and am 99%+ sure is a fuel issue between filter and tank, and cleaned out fuel system, selector switch, etc. all way back to tank with no obvious blocks. Assume trip to lake is stirring up fuel tank, and only other thing I can think to do is check gas tank for debris. However, can not pull tank or even completely pull out dip tube/fuel level assembly without pulling engine block (thanks Yamaha!).

Any ideas on cleaning tank or tricks on pulling dip tube without removing engine (no thanks!) ???

Also read some forums on installing a manual fuel primer pump - anyone know where I can get one? Kills my battery (and my starter soon) trying to suck fuel into engine.
Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
A primer you can get many places like dennis kirk. you have to take the handlebar assembly and plastic molded piece off above the fuel pickup in order to get room enough to pull it up.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have you checked the idle setting? Might be too low when the ski is put in the water? Do you have old fuel in tank? Or Ethonal fuel that has drawn in to much moisture? Seems odd it starts while out of water and runs but not in water, a primer will help with cold starts, check vacume lines to carb also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advise, but one clarification - won't start while still on trailer (not in water yet).

Suggestions on good fuel additive/stabilizer/carb cleaner? Can't hurt either way. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts