Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1999 Sea Doo GTI - Power loss after seconds at full throttle

47K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  H8Bogez 
#1 ·
Hello...new member here with quite an issue on my hands. My 1999 GTI was recently serviced to address some power issues and after getting 'er back out on the lake, 1 to 2 hours into using it, I noticed some significant power / fuel flow issues. To be specific...

1) Starts okay without problem.
2) When giving 'er full throttle, I get about 2-3 seconds of power then the engine cuts back to nothing more than an idle...with the throttle held.
3) Then, after releasing the throttle and coasting at idle for another 10 seconds or so, I hit the throttle and power is there...as it should be, only to be lost after another 2-3 seconds at full throttle.

A friend of mine mentioned a possible "water in the fuel" issue so I purchased some fuel dryer and put it in the tank. Tried running it for 30 min or so just piddlin' around and then tried again. Unfortunately, the same power issues started right back up. It's almost as though the fuel is flowing into the pump and carb but once you use up the little bit which has accumulated, the fuel flow seems to drop significantly only allowing you to idle, even with the throttle at full bore. Then, once a little more fuel works its way into the carb, power is restored and off you go...for at least another 2-3 seconds anyway.

I'm guessing the carb needs to be checked next for the presence of water. Or, maybe the fuel filter needs to be checked. I'm not sure of either option and am no mechanic but if nothing else, I'd like to find out if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and please post if more detailed information is needed...I'll provide anything I can to the member who can suggest any possible fix or at least where to start.

Thanks!
The Reverend LzzrdBoy

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Me too.

Sounds like the problem I'm having with my 95XP. Does yours run fine up to about 5,000 RPM if you just go easy on the throttle? Mine does about the same thing you described when I go full throttle. I emptied my gas tank, twice, put in new gas, changed plugs more than once. On mine this started after I had trouble with my exhaust pipe coming loose and spraying water all over inside. I'm wondering about the module or CDI, plug wires, or maybe the fuel pump or diaphram. Let me know if you get it figured out. Also you might have old gas, I'd siphon it out and then take out the tank completely and rinse it out with good gas. Remember to unhook battery first.

Good luck:thumbsup:

#3 ·
1999 gti power loss after 25 secs

Hi I am anew member also, and I have the same model and year pwc as you. It starts and runs perfectly out of water ,revs up and idles ok ,but put it in the drink it starts revs up jumps out of the hole and then drops to about half power ,the carb has been professionally rebuilt (it was clogged) tank baffle filters cleaned ,new plugs ,it,s still the same any advise appreciated

#4 ·
I got mine running good

Did you empty and rinse out the gas tank? Clean the fuel filter and filter bowl? Make sure no hoses are loose allowing water into tank.

I emptied my gas tank and put 4 gallons of BP Ultimate in, a pint of seafoam and about 3-4 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil. Ran for about 45 minutes as High RPM as it would run. Then shut it off for about 15 minutes. Next time I started it it ran full out at just over 7,000 RPM with no hesitation and has ran good since.

I also dried out all of my electrical connections, check the one coming from the magento. A Service Tech from a local dealer said to use solid tipped spark plugs not the screw on ones as they can cause some resistance.

Good Luck

:thumbsup:

#7 ·
power loss after few seconds

Hi all you power loss sufferers
Had carb sorted ,they replaced the pop off valve problem solved !!
it seems the carb fills ,then when you hit the throttle it uses the bowl full of juice, but the main jet does not open and the power drops off .
new valve and away you go , stupid thing is that engine will rev right up off load but when under load (in water it needs more juice)
hope this will help others good luck and thanks.

#8 ·
Hi all you power loss sufferers
Had carb sorted ,they replaced the pop off valve problem solved !!
it seems the carb fills ,then when you hit the throttle it uses the bowl full of juice, but the main jet does not open and the power drops off .
new valve and away you go , stupid thing is that engine will rev right up off load but when under load (in water it needs more juice)
hope this will help others good luck and thanks.

Needs more juice in water because now the engine is under a load. Kind of like a car in neutral and then dropping it in gear. Glad it worked out for you!!
Ride safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.