Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this boat since new, am experienced enough to do plenty. I have run into a problem i cannot solve alone. Some background, 99xll1200: triple pipes, custom waterbox, advent cdi, riva heads, trued and welded crank, carbon fiber reeds, reed stuffers, re-jetted carbs, oil block-off kit installed, updated powervalves, 14/21 solas, pump shoe, aftermarket intake and sponsons... Anyways, she ran great, then while riding she died, would re-start and dies, no amout of throttle or choke applied seems to keep her running, will simply start then die. I have checked compression, replaced head gaskets, rebuilt all three mikuni carbs with new diapraghms total job, replaced all three spark wires, plugs of course, checked the ignition coils(they are in spec), replaced cdi with brand new one, seems to be getting fuel, in process of checking spark with gap tester as of now, i am tired of throwing money and parts at this thing! WTF if there is someone who has run into something like this, or has enough experience to help me, please do, i have also checked the simple things like the lanyard switch etc., I am lost and need some new ideas, got way too much tied up in this old girl to let her just rot. thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
checked spark gap per manual

i got a good blue spark across the terminals, momentarily, as the motor continued to crank....the spark became erratic then stopping completely, any suggestions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know this is a good idea...

i just replaced the wires with brand new ones...the battery connection, you believe this could cause what i am experiencing, could you explain a bit more as to what you may think is going on here???? thank you very much for advice, just curious as to the thought process you were having

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
what are compression numbers?

if we have spark and fuel then compression is missing, or timing is off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
answer to your reply, thanks for answering i appreciate it

the compression is reading about 135-140 across the board, connections are clean and good, i was also thinking timing, is it possible the pick up coils are failing or maybe a shear pin went on the flywheel and its enough to fire but wont run because the timing setting would be off, this is my final thought on the issue, i have been screwing with it for quite a while, i am so tired.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just curious, have you checked the exhaust system for any blockage? Mine acted the same way when the muffler had a blockage in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally The Answer!!!!

As I Suspected Early On, But Didnt Want To Find, I Ended Pulling The Motor Out And Tearing Down The Flywheel End, To No Surprise The Flywheel Was Loose, But Not Because The Flywheel Key Went, Because Two Of The Rivets That Actually Hold The Flywheel To The Center Piece, Sheared Off Or Vibrated Loose, And Then Stuck To The Inside Magnet, Tearing Up The Stator, I Mean Shredded It! And This Is Why My Timing Was Off, Replaced Parts About $750 Worth And She Should Be Fine Now, The Only Thing I Could Assume Is That Over Time The Rivets Weakened And This Was The End Result, Thank You Everyone Who Answered And Provided Tips, I Will Always Appreciate The Extra Input....steve(lakehuronrider)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts