Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. Let me introduce myself before I start firing off questions.

I'm an engineer with diesel engine experience, but know much less about small gas motors, and next to nothing about pwc. However, I may need to play the role of remote tech support for a 2005 VX 110 Deluxe.

My sister is a missionary on a tiny tropical island in Papua New Guinea, and she uses the "flying fish" as her personal transportation between the small islands nearby. She stores it out of the water and flushes with a hose after each use. Salt & sand are hard on everything out there with moving parts, and they've got to be real careful to keep everything running. It's a 1.5 hour boat ride to the nearest town, and it takes weeks (at best) to get anything shipped in. She can email and occasionally call, but can't get any more than text through her internet connection. That's where I come in.

She typically will spend 2-3 years on the island, then come back to the states for almost a year. She just returned to the island and has been trying to get everything back in working order. This is the first time the waverunner has sat this long.

Now for the questions:

1) She was able to get the oil changed, but wants a good filter wrench for next time. I can find the filter size online, but don't have a visual of the access around it. What kind of wrench does she want? Something that fits over the end and turns with a ratchet, or the metal loop kind with a handle coming off the side of the filter?

2) When she fired it up, she said that it took off great, but soon slowed to a crawl and is running a bit "rough". They were going to try spark plugs next. I'll ask for more details from her, but might need your help troubleshooting.

sorry for the long post. I'll stop now.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
For the oil filter you can use a small strap wrench, but they often slip and are hard to get into the tight space you have to work in. A cap style wrench that fits on a socket works much better (I think it is a 14 flute 65mm size for the Yamaha filter). For future filter changes have you sister get K&N size 303 filters. They have a lug built on the end of the filter that makes removing them much easier (the lug is 17 mm). Be sure to tell her to apply oil to the rubber seal before she puts it on and not to over-tighten and she can get it off by hand next time. The filter is located on the port side of the engine toward the rear bottom. It can be a challenge to get to. It helps if you have long skinny arms. It is a good idea to change the filter with every oil change in salt water conditions, since they tend to rust out.

I think your sister is on the right track. I'd try changing the plugs as a first step, since a bad plug is a very common reason for poor running on this model ski.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts