Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - you seem like a decent bunch of chaps/chapesses!

Living in Texas and looking to enjoy our local lake a bit more. Would like to buy a used jetski. Quite a few on offer - mostly older Seadoo and Yamaha. I'd like to spend <5k but would go higher if it meant less stress. What constitutes a good buy - and which make is easier to fix if things go wrong? I'm not at all mechanically minded so would be paying someone else.

Some of the offers I'm looking at now:-

Yamaha FX 140 2005
Yamaha GP1200R 2001
Seadoo RX D1 2003
Kawasaki Ultra 250x 2007 (this one gives me the fear)
Seadoo GTX3 2001

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Had a quick look around the forum - looks like the FX140 is a pretty decent option at around $5K?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Of the ones on your list, I'd recommend the Yamaha FX 140. It is a very reliable 4 stroke 3 person ski. It is also very stable and handles well in rough water. It makes a nice towing platform for tubes etc. It won't be the fastest, but will give you the best gas mileage of the skis on your list with a top speed of around 53-54 mph.

2 stroke skis are much easier to work on than 4 strokes, but also tend to break more often, and require more maintenance (cleaning carbs, etc.). They also wear out faster, requiring engine rebuilds etc.. You can do your own maintenance on 4 stroke skis: change the oil, plugs, etc. if you have a little mechanical skill. Plus the 4 strokes don't stink, and you don't have to worry about mixing oil.

The Kawasakis with the 250hp engines have had numerous problems......it is a very nice riding ski in rough water, but I'd definitely stay away from that one.

I don't know anything about the SeaDoos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
look at honda.

aquatrax f12x or f12 03 up. fantastic skis. the f12x is turbo and requires a little more attention when it comes to maintenance. but very reliable skis, great engine. i have f12 (non turbo) for me and the wife and we love it. great ski, fast enough for us and its a blast. engine will run strong forever as long as you maintain it just like every other ski. i say stay away from turbos and superchargers, unless you dont mind spending money constantly on repairs. get a ski thats n/a and 4stroke. 2 strokes always break down and to pay $1200 per rebuild is just plain stupid. i know people that had rebuild engine after 21 hrs as well as 16hrs. also heard of turbos blowing up at 10hrs and superchargers need rebuild every 100hrs. stick to n/a engines.

good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help

May look at a 2005 vx110 tomorrow.

One question - what on earth do you do if one of these things breaks down when you're in the middle of a lake??

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
One question - what on earth do you do if one of these things breaks down when you're in the middle of a lake??
On most lakes there is usually another boater/PWCer that will give you a tow. I've towed many broken boats and PWCs with my ski. On a small isolated lake, you may want to carry a collapsible paddle, so you can get yourself to shore. I also have a SeaTow membership, but I also own a boat. Depending on where you ride, something like SeaTow may be a consideration. At my marina I get a 10% discount on gas with my SeaTow membership, so the membership pays for itself in a season of filling my boat and ski with gas.

Probably the best advice is to get a reliable ski in the first place, and keep it well maintained. You will not go wrong with a Yamaha 4 stroke. By the way the VX is the most reliable and fuel efficient ski on the market.........look at the ski all the rental places use and you will find a VX. The VX will give you the same speed as the FX with even better fuel mileage, but will give you a little more bouncy/wetter ride in the rough stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! The lake near us is pretty quiet - would definitely get a collapsible oar just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, we now own a 2007 Seadoo GTI SE 130

It's in immaculate condition - looks brand new actually. We go to the lake on Saturday for our first outing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts