Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Of the ones on your list, I'd recommend the Yamaha FX 140. It is a very reliable 4 stroke 3 person ski. It is also very stable and handles well in rough water. It makes a nice towing platform for tubes etc. It won't be the fastest, but will give you the best gas mileage of the skis on your list with a top speed of around 53-54 mph.

2 stroke skis are much easier to work on than 4 strokes, but also tend to break more often, and require more maintenance (cleaning carbs, etc.). They also wear out faster, requiring engine rebuilds etc.. You can do your own maintenance on 4 stroke skis: change the oil, plugs, etc. if you have a little mechanical skill. Plus the 4 strokes don't stink, and you don't have to worry about mixing oil.

The Kawasakis with the 250hp engines have had numerous problems......it is a very nice riding ski in rough water, but I'd definitely stay away from that one.

I don't know anything about the SeaDoos.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
One question - what on earth do you do if one of these things breaks down when you're in the middle of a lake??
On most lakes there is usually another boater/PWCer that will give you a tow. I've towed many broken boats and PWCs with my ski. On a small isolated lake, you may want to carry a collapsible paddle, so you can get yourself to shore. I also have a SeaTow membership, but I also own a boat. Depending on where you ride, something like SeaTow may be a consideration. At my marina I get a 10% discount on gas with my SeaTow membership, so the membership pays for itself in a season of filling my boat and ski with gas.

Probably the best advice is to get a reliable ski in the first place, and keep it well maintained. You will not go wrong with a Yamaha 4 stroke. By the way the VX is the most reliable and fuel efficient ski on the market.........look at the ski all the rental places use and you will find a VX. The VX will give you the same speed as the FX with even better fuel mileage, but will give you a little more bouncy/wetter ride in the rough stuff.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts