Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
It's my first time on this forum but it looks like a great resource. Yesterday I picked up my first PWC, a Yamaha GP760 I believe. It has 760 graphics on the side and says waveblaster or waiveraider I can't remember which now. Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone knows things like top speed, reccomended maintenance/mods, etc. Also, I'm not totally clear on the legal/paperwork aspects I need. I'm in North Carolina, and I guess I have to know if I need insurance, registration, titling, all that good stuff. Looking foreward to being a member here.
-Greg

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Congratulation on your new ski.

There were 2 versions of the Waveblaster, the original with a 700cc engine and your model with the 760cc, which came out in the mid 90s. I think the top speed will be around 46-48 mph if everything is working right.

That ski sort of pre-dates the era of modifications and I don't know of any real modifications available, but there may be ways to squeeze a few more mph out of it.......but probably not worth the cost.

Like any 2 stroke, you have to worry about keeping the carbs clean, and they will have to be rebuilt periodically. You also have to worry about the oil injection system, which is known to fail. Be sure to check the oil hoses to be sure they are tight. Many engine has been toasted due to an oil line coming off. Not a bad idea to check the compression to have a baseline (ideal would be around 140 psi).

In NC you have to register the ski through the Wildlife Resources office, and the trailer through the DMV. To do the registration you will need a notarized title for both the ski and trailer. You just take the titles to the different offices and pay the fee to do the registration. For the ski they will give you a temporary registration until the official sticker that comes in the mail can be put on the ski. You have to put the registration numbers on both sides of the ski. They have the number kits at most of the Wildlife offices or you can get them at Wally World, etc..

Insurance is optional, but not a bad idea. It is not that expensive for older skis. Probably the biggest insurance threat is theft.

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts