Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I currently have 2 honda aquatrax's. One is a 2004 R-12X and a 2006 F-12X. I recently just purchased a brand new Sea-Doo RXT 260iS back in January at a boat show. So I now have three skis and I'm debating whether to sell both my honda's for possibly a newer ski, leaving me with two instead of three (don't exactly need three at one time). I personally love my honda's, they fly and they are very fun. Is there anything out there that is comparable to these? As far as all-out fun like these two? If there is a newer ski that could fill the gap these two would leave then I'd sell these two and take my money to a newer one. Has anyone tried the F-15X or anything in its class? Any advice at all is much appreciated!!

Thanks,
Austin

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Look at the new Yamaha VXR/VXS models. 68 mph stock with a naturally aspirated engine. No turbo or super chargers to worry about, but lots of upgrades coming soon for those who need to go faster. Should give you a ride similar to the Honda. Uses Yamaha's 1800 cc engine, which has been proven in other models (SHO, FZR, FZS). Plus you can throw a rock and it will probably land on a Yamaha dealership. Honda PWC dealers and certificied mechanics are becoming extinct.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look at the new Yamaha VXR/VXS models. 68 mph stock with a naturally aspirated engine. No turbo or super chargers to worry about, but lots of upgrades coming soon for those who need to go faster. Should give you a ride similar to the Honda. Uses Yamaha's 1800 cc engine, which has been proven in other models (SHO, FZR, FZS). Plus you can throw a rock and it will probably land on a Yamaha dealership. Honda PWC dealers and certificied mechanics are becoming extinct.
I was actually looking into yamaha..I was thinking either the VX line, the FZ line, or the FX SHO..the FZ's are getting more appealing as I watch some of these videos..looks very fun! And you're right on Honda's becoming extinct..I'm located in Alabama and the closest place to service my honda's are Chattanooga, TN. That's another reason I kinda want to get out from under them, regardless of how good they are. I just wanted something to closely fill their performance. Can you tell me how bad the gas would suck with these models compared to my honda's?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Can you tell me how bad the gas would suck with these models compared to my honda's?
The VX is the most fuel efficient ski on the market. At WOT it only burns around 7 gal. per hour (your Hondas probably burn that at cruising speed). The VX at ideal cruising speed (32mph) gets over 10 mpg. Downside is that you will not like the speed loss..........top speed only 54 mph.

The older model FXHOs (pre- 2009) are really nice skis. Great gas mileage and top speed of around 60 mph. Look for a used one and you will not be disappointed.

But if you want new, like I stated before, look at the new VXR/VXS. Just came out this year (2011). It will ride much like the Honda. It has a light hull design. It burns around 13 gph at WOT, and cruises at 38 mph burning around 8 gph. I suspect that this is not far from what the Honda Turbos burn (maybe less).

The FZR/FZS and the SHO models are the real gas hogs of the Yamaha line, both with superchargers, and no faster than the new VXR/VXS (in fact, slower). I could not recommend either the FZ series or the SHO, unless you love to spend time at the pump rather than riding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The VX is the most fuel efficient ski on the market. At WOT it only burns around 7 gal. per hour (your Hondas probably burn that at cruising speed). The VX at ideal cruising speed (32mph) gets over 10 mpg. Downside is that you will not like the speed loss..........top speed only 54 mph.

The older model FXHOs (pre- 2009) are really nice skis. Great gas mileage and top speed of around 60 mph. Look for a used one and you will not be disappointed.

But if you want new, like I stated before, look at the new VXR/VXS. Just came out this year (2011). It will ride much like the Honda. It has a light hull design. It burns around 13 gph at WOT, and cruises at 38 mph burning around 8 gph. I suspect that this is not far from what the Honda Turbos burn (maybe less).

The FZR/FZS and the SHO models are the real gas hogs of the Yamaha line, both with superchargers, and no faster than the new VXR/VXS (in fact, slower). I could not recommend either the FZ series or the SHO, unless you love to spend time at the pump rather than riding.
I see what you're saying now..I watched the video on those bad boys. They look awesome! I may go that direction then, they also cost a lot less than the FZ and SHO's. Thanks for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts