Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I found this online and I thought you all may appreciate and benefit from it, as I already have!
David

Please Note! Some of these come from personal experience, whist others come from other sources. None of them are highly technical however I take No responsibility for damage to property if any of these tips are incorrect. However as I said. none of them are really technical. Most are just suggestions!

1. Always have rope somewhere on board your craft. The number of times a PWC can break down is incredible. Although these days it's less likely to happen. I can tell you, paddling a ski (Even a Small one) is extremely difficult.

2. Make sure your battery is fully charged. There is nothing worse than Gearing up for a big day's skiing only to get your ski in the water and hear a slow crank. It's also pretty embarrassing.

3. After each and every ride flush your engine for around 2 - 3 minutes. Most craft have a special kit for this, and all you need to do is hook it up to the garden hose. If you don't do this your ski will die much quicker.

4. When you start your craft in the water, make sure you are in at least 2 feet of water. This way you wont suck in sand or other unwanted debris.

5. After each ride give your engine a quick spray with WD 40 or something.

6. Make sure there is oil in your craft. Either pre mix it or make sure your injector tank is full. You don't want to blow up your engine!

7. Always wear a Personal Floatation Device (PFD). Normally a vest, but in Australia it is illegal to wear a Vest in Open waters. You have to wear a PFD 1 or 2.

8. I personally think it's stupid to not carry Jumper cables (Either in your car or PWC). But that's just me.

9. Don't start your PWC out of the water for longer than 30 or so seconds. Without water you could do damage BIG TIME! Don't risk it!

10. If you are riding and you suck something into the pump (This can be anything from a plastic bag, sea weed rope...You name it) shut off the engine before you reach in to remove it. Trust me. It's a good idea that when you feel the PWC straining you shut off the engine immediately as there is most likely something stuck in there somewhere.

11. After each ride, it's a good idea to degrease the area around the exhaust pipe area. This area will be blackened and if you leave it too long will stain the finish of the ski. Most newer skis have rear end exhausts, but still. It's a good idea to clean it up as you go!

12. Don't ride empty handed. You never know when you will need some cash. For gas maybe. Possibly a Tow. Or a can of Coke. Most ski's have a compartment where you can store stuff. If you don't want to carry your wallet on board then buy a little plastic pouch (You have to carry your license anyways so it's a good idea to place you license in here with some cash just in case). For the Australians waterproofing your money is no prob cause...Well, it's already water proof. For others, try some Cling wrap or a small snap lock baggie. That should do it!! Reaup up further down the page.

13. When you finish a day of riding your PWC, and you have just pulled it out of the water. Start it up and run in for around 30 - 60 secs to get the water out of engine and pump. Although I have been debated about this by a certain cousin. He says that the salt then dries which is worse than having water in the engine and pump. I don't know about this one. I'll have to do some further study and get back to you

14. When you are riding pay attention. You should know what your ski sounds like. If you hear any strange noises or the engine sounds "weird" stop riding. If you hear a noise don't ignore it. I know some people who will ride into open waters even after their ski is spluttering and making a strange grinding noise. Not only can it damage your ski but it is highly dangerous and bloody stupid.

15. Check the steering and throttle cable regularly. Just to be safe. Most people suggest before every ride. It doesn't take long, so why not?

16. If your PWC doesn't start after 15 secs of cranking. Stop!! Let the starter rest for 10 or so secs and then try again. You can overheat your starter if you are not careful.

17. Try to avoid areas where there is a lot of floating debris. Not only is it a pain in the ass but it can damage your craft.

18. Don't Forget to "Winterize" your ski when you don't intend to ride it for long periods of time. The manual should have some info on this.

19. Don't be stupid when you ride. In Australia recently new rules have restricted riders in a big way because of those few who constantly disobey the law.

20. Maintain your trailer. Regularly check the signal lights, wheels, tyres, rollers (Or bunks) and the winch (And cable). Without a trailer, you are going to have big problems getting your PWC to the water. And I don't care how strong you are.

Do - It - Yourself Repairs on your Ski
Sticker/ Decal Removal
This one is not as bad as it seems. When I got my Superjet it had stickers and decals on it that I didn't want. I was extremely worried that it was going to cost me big $$$ to get rid of them. However with a little advice from a guy named "Mike Pipes" I found it quite easy. Mike is well know online by most PWCrafters, and let me say we are all very greatful for his advice.

First off you need to decide what you don't want on your craft. If you want to get rid of all the decals, it might be a good idea to buy a "Sticker Removal Wheel". These can be found at your local hardware store. And can cost anywhere from around $20 - 50 (A great estimate as I have never checked personally). People have told me these can be placed in any drill, and it simply scrapes off all the decals without damaging the ski's finish. I was a little worried about that so I decided to do it the old fashioned way.

Peeling it off with your own bare hands. Ok, so it sounds harder than it really is. If you have a heat gun, great. Good for you. If not, your standard, run of the mill Hair Dryer will do just fine. Just make sure you return it to the bathroom, after you use it.

Basically you need to heat the decals you want to remove. This takes good judgment as you can overheat the sticker and it will melt and tear in your hand as you pull it off. To get at the end of the decal, use either your fingernail, or if you are anything like me, and have little to no fingernails, try using the end of a credit card (Or something similar). It does help quite a bit.

Once you have the decal end up, gently heat and pull it off. Mike suggests pulling it up at a 90 degree angle. It worked for me. If there is too much heat, the decal will stretch and eventually break away. This means you need to take away some of the heat.

Once you have all the decals off, you may find some "Sticker Goo" left behind. That's OK. Again, Mike Suggests, using some fuel to get rid off this. You may ask "Fuel????". I thought the same thing. But it actually works quite well, and didn't damage the paintwork in any way. If you are a little worried about using fuel, then go to your Hardware or Auto Store and buy the proper stuff, making sure you read labels to see if they are Paint Safe.

And there you have it. It's pretty simple. Thanks Mike. Visit

Things to take along with you.
When going out for a day's riding it's a good idea to be prepared. OK so it's sounds obvious, but after riding for some time I have learnt you can NEVER be too prepared for things that may occur. Have a look at the following list.

1. Always have your PWC license on board with you. NO MATTER WHAT, there is no excuse to ride without it. And if you don't have a license then you shouldn't even be reading this UNTIL you have one (Unless of course you come from somewhere that doesn't require you to have one.)

2. A tow rope. I may have mentioned this already and I stress even more that if you are skiing in a location that has no car/trailer access you may need a tow home.

3. It's a good idea to have a small tool kit on board or somewhere handy. Include a small spanner, a few screw drivers and a socket wrench. Also include some stainless steel hose clamps and/or hose ties. Also include some hose repair tape. You can get this from most auto or hardware stores. A Couple of new spark plugs could also come in handy too.

4. Get a mini can of WD 40 or rapid start or something. This could get you out of a sticky situation.

5. Include a first aid kit on board. This is something every outdoor person should have with them. If you are interested in learning more about first aid visit the St John's Ambulance page.

6. Bring a bottle of fresh water with you. If you have a big enough ski then make it at least 1.5 litres. If you have a small ski with limited storage, just bring along a small 600ml or so bottle. And I don't mean a glass bottle either.

7. About half a meter to 1 meter of plastic tubing. If your PWC doesn't have an electric bilge system you may need to syphon any water out with this tube. This comes from personal experience. Altho most PWC have bilge systems, some, like the Superjet only work when the ski is running or moving.

8. A spare hull plug. This is the small plug that most skis have to keep water out. I've been out on my dad's Seadoo when I misplace the plug. Not fun.

9. A knife. (And no, not as self defence against crazy surfers). Have you ever been riding when you ride right over a stray piece of rope, or some one's discarded shopping bag or plastic wrapper? Well, then you would probably know how hard it is to untangle that from your impellor. Some instances require you to actually remove your intake grate, however you can sometimes cut off the debris with a knife. It sounds rather stupid, but it saves you a lot of time, trust me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts