Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I’m in the process of buying a used ski. According to the manual, I can only use Yamalube 2W oil. Seeing as this oil is a little pricey, are there any alternatives?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Kastounc, Welcome to the forum.
There is lots of alternatives to yamalube. Any quality 2stroke oil marked TC-W3 will work fine. Walmart carries this pennzoil oil for around $18 I believe. See pic.

The big thing is you don't want to mix oils. I'd run the tank down as low as possible. Then I'd only add a quart to the tank at a time for first gallon. Running it down after each quart. That way you rinse the yamalube quicker. Then fill tank as usual.
I also suggest you check and replace the oil lines for the system asap. The oil injection is bulletproof. But the weak link is the hoses. They are always severely overlooked and not maintained. This causes the lines to the carbs to fail and waste a motor. Easy afternoon job if parts and tools are on hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! Of course manufacturers have a interest in selling their own oil, but am I actually going to experience any significant performance decrease by using the pennzoil alternative?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I can't find any instructions on how to change oil hoses. Where could I find this information?
Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The difference in oil will show and have no ill effect. So long as what ever oil you choose is rated TC-W3.
Again the big thing is not to mix oils. Follow the instructions I laid out above.

If you don't already have a manual, go to the general pwc discussion tab. Go to manuals. The first post has a link just put in your info. yr, make, model, motor. For a downloadable version.

You'll have to start by removing the exhaust. See pic. Green is a bolted flange. The red is rubber clamped flanges. This plus an array of mount bolts and pisser hoses will get it out of the way. The oil pump is on the front of the motor and the oil lines run up under the exhaust on top of the carbs. You'll need a length of 1/8" tygon tubing from SBT or wsm performance. Zip ties and a zip tie gun to install them. The tie gun can be found at Lowe's with the ties. The tie gun is the only way to get them tight enough to hold. Leave plenty of slack in the new lines to allow for shrinkage and don't tie them down tight.

Actually as I right this I realize. With the exhaust removed you may just as well pull the tank and clean it out. I can just about guarantee there is a table spoon of dirt in it along with paraffin wax that settles out of the oil. Then you can also clean the oil filter that's in the tank. To do the tank and lines you'll need. 1/8" tygon line, the pump gasket. The one exhaust gasket. Zip ties and gun. And the packing to reseal the filter in the tank bottom. The line and gaskets SBT has. The tank packing you'll have to get from Babbittsonline. And then ties and gun from Lowe's. Doing this way you won't have to worry about mixing oils and the system in basically as new.
Then you just bleed the system as you install.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all the help! I'm young and I'm new at this, it helps to know that there are good people in the community who help out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts