Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the 700 about a month ago and I knew it had an issue with bogging down. Changed the spark plugs, fuel filter and added fresh fuel. Started fine, idle seems a bit high. In order to get up to speed I needed to give it some choke. As it warmed up the amount of choke increased. When I hit the throttle it labored and finally caught and took off.

I'm guessing it needs a carb cleaning/rebuild. It also seemed to be running rough, like the carbs were not balanced.

Where can I find the OEM carb kits and what is the best carb cleaner?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If your having to use choke to run. then you are running lean. This can damage the piston/cyl if it gets lean enough. Becarfull running that way or you may end up doing major engine repair.
It is best to use true Mikuni kits when building the carbs. There a tad more expensive than aftermarket but well worth it in quality. In the "how to's" above you'll see a post for carb part and kits. Go there for your kits or watcon.com. Work on one carb at a time. The high and low adjustment screws. (Should be marked on carb body with H or L) you'll want to slowly turn them in till there lightly seated counting how many turns and record this. This will be your starting set up after you clean them. Then disassemble the entire carb. I like to get the gallon dunk can of cleaner from Napa or local auto parts supplier. Disassemble and soak for a couple hours then hose off carefully. So as not to loose any small parts. On the carb body be sure to rinse through all the small passages. Then use spray cleaner to rinse again and displace the water. Again using spray cleaner through all small passages. Could also after this blow out with compressed or caned air. Then reassemble. Then follow with second carb.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rebuilt the carbs, my first time working on two cycle carbs. Both were gummy and crusty. The only issue was the pump and those little grommets. Took four hours but the results were great. No choke needed to run and starts on the first try. My teens ran through two tank s of gas tubing and riding around until they ran over the tow rope. Now onto a new task.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Great to here. Those little rubber plugs holding the pump valves are hell..
I was out riding today and almost got a tow rope myself. Guy in the hang out area of the lake left it and tube floating. I thought the tube was with the boat it was floating by, not the one it was attached to 60ft away. Got motor killed just as i went over.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good thing I had two carb kits, popped a hole in the first two grommets. Made a tool out of a 2mm allen wrench and rounded over the end. Then I used the two cycle motor oil as a lube. Constant pressure with a screw twist got them in. I followed your advice and wrote down the H and L settings and it started the next morning on the hose with the second crank. I knew it was going to be great when I took it out for a test run and have it some trottle, it took off with a head snapping jolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts