Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ski has 270hours on it when i bought it.. 10hours or so already this year. I had just filled my ski up with premium fuel and oil. After about 40 minutes, it died and left me with a lot of carnage. Rear cylinder rod bearing is gone, rod is broken, cyl and piston are all marked up. There is a small crack in the lower case where the rod got jammed up against.. i plan on welding this up and continuing on with my rebuild. The front cyl looks mint and the rear looks like it was starved of oil, i will check the oil supply system operation when i put it back together. Now, this is the first time i had put oil in the ski and not knowing the difference, i didn't think twice when i bought CASTROL SUPER SNOWMOBILE OIL which states its good for premix and oil injected systems. Could this have been the cause of my problem? Or just a coincidence?

Im looking for a complete crank.. but can only find GP800 cranks. Are these interchangeable? Otherwise, where can i find a crank for an xl800?

I plan on replacing the front piston and rings while using the stock nikasil plated cylinder. For the blown up cylinder i plan on buying a sleeve and having the machine shop install it for me to go along with a piston/ring combo for the cast iron sleeve. Would it be wise to sleeve both cylinders to keep everything the same? Powervalves are in good shape and working correctly.

The head is nicked up from chunks of the piston, but im just going to clean it up and re-use it.

The ski is in great condition which is why im rebuilding it.

Lastly, does anyone have any suggestions for parts at a good price? This stuff isnt cheap.

Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Make sure you bolt the cases together when you weld them so they don't warp. GP and XL 800 cranks are the same. I am not a fan of steel boring those motors. I know its dear but id just get a new nickalsil barrel and size matched piston. If you do use steel bores, make sure you re-jet the carbs and use a 2.5needle & seat. I would check the oil line didn't fall off to the rear cylinder. If it was running fine beforehand, that means the carbs are probably ok (still check them) and it didnt lean out. The only other thing is check the power valve pin didnt break dropping it onto the piston. Due to the nickalsil, these engines run small clearance generally ruling out the rings catching in the exhaust port.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GC.

Just to clarify, are the GP800 and XL800 rotating assemblies exactly the same? What about the cylinders and head? What is the difference between these two motors?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts