Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased an XL1200 from a good friend of mine a couple weekends ago. The ski was in great shape and had 29 hours on it. He charged the battery for me and I took it out the weekend I got it. After riding it hard and doing several quick turns, we pulled the ski out and cleaned it. I noticed the was a little water in the bottom of the hull. Not really a concern since I was leaning the ski over and water was sloshing of the nose from time to time. But the ski was running great no problems.
A week later, this Memorial weekend, I took the ski to the lake. Put the ski in Friday and everything was fine. Saturday morning I took it out and took some family friends' kids tubing. The ski struggled with the tube and two kids and a spotter but it did the job. We didn't go above 25 mph. Everything was still fine. Well I took it for a ride Saturday evening before it got too dark and rode it spiritedly. Water over the nose like before and a boat load of fun...then I smelled something burning. I looked around me and at the ski but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I paid no attention to it until I smelled it again. It just didn't smell right. I thought it was just exhaust fumes from the motor but it just didn't make since so I pulled the ski out.

1st Issue:
The next moring I popped the seats and looked in the hull. There was oil inside the ski. Now at first I thought it was the spare gallon of oil that I kept under the rear seat, but that wasn't able to leak into the hull. There was quite a bit of oil in the bottom of the ski. I have no idea where it could be coming from. I checked everything I could see from looking on top of the engine but I have no idea where to look underneath. There is no clear spray or leak point that I can see from just looking on top. Any ideas where to inspect or any pictures or diagrams that will show where the oil lines are and the path of the oil lines? Now I am mechanically inclined and followed the lines from the oil tank as best as I can and there is only so much I can get to.

2nd Issue:
After rinsing out the hull of the ski to see if I could find a visual refence of where the oil was coming from I put the ski back in. At this time I decided to adjust the idle up just a little too. I filled it up and took her out across the lake. WOT she ran fine hitting 53 mph like before. Held at mid throttle was still fine. Did a couple of turns not so spiritedly like before and didn't smell the buring smell. Brought her back up to WOT to another side of the lake and at about 45 mph and hitting a choppy section the ski went completely dead. She just died and wouldn't start. The screen would say start but she wouldn't turn over. I waited a few minutes and tried again she started and wouldn't stay running. I started her again and gave a hair throttle and she ran. I gave her a little more throttle and she died. I started her again w/ hair throttle and then let her idle and she died. All this time I am still sitting across the lake. I pressed start button again and nothing. I heard the starter click but nothing. Waited a few minutes and tried again. She turned a couple of times and then would start again. So I waited 5 minutes. Tried again and she started so I gave a hair throttle and just putted across the lake. It took me about an hour to cross the lake from starting and stopping the whole way at hair throttle. I did try to grab other boats attention but people just waved at me. So at this point I just decided to give up and put her up for the vacation. Pulled her out and she started fine on land. Also there was more oil in the hull at this point too. Now the first thing I thought was battery. When I got back home yesterday the friend I bought it from checked the voltage and the battery was reading 11.8 volts. He also checked the compression and I believe he said it was 120, 118 & 112. He said the plug in 3 looked a little dry. I have no clue where else to look for this issue and I can't get stuck across the lake again with no help. Please Help! Also one must note, WaveEater clips and connectors are installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine did the same thing last weekend on the river - towed it 6 miles. The next day I discovered that the battery connections were not as tight as they could be - started right up.

Last year it did almost the same thing - but intermittantly. That was a loose connection in the CDI(?) controller box. $ 128.00 on labor at the shop to find that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi ackershaw,
we've owned a 2000 xl1200 ltd since new and had problems with the oil supply 3 times now.

the first time the ski was 6 months old and began seizing after warming up. problem: although the oil gauge was reading 2 thirds full the tank was actually empty and engine was seizing and shutting down due to lack of oil!
Solution: fixed under warranty- cylinders cleaned up engine rebuilt new oil sensor installed, from then on always manually check actual oil level.

2nd time: 2 years ago same thing began happening. small amount of oil in hull.
engine seized when warm.
Problem: oil line had perished (not visible when looking from above).
Solution: $4,500AUD later, engine completely rebuilt! according to local dealer the barrels were too badly damaged to be cleaned, and as they are nickel plated no honing can be done so all new parts!

3 days ago!!: seized again! this time nearly exactly as you describe. oil all through hull. dry looking plugs. low battery voltage due to trying to start ski. Problem: suspected oil line blown off.
solution so far: premix oil in fuel, 40:1 (not sure what would be suitable ratio, any suggestions welcome). put back in the water and riden fast for 15-20mins and seems to run well, plenty of power etc. so have emptied oil tank. putting up with low oil warning on startup ( how to disconnect?).

i wonder if before you take the jetski to the mechanic (if you havent already) you could try premix the oil. ifthe jetski runs well, the damage to the cylinders cant be bad enough for expensive rebuild. then if you want the oil line to be fixed take to the mechanic knowing they needn't rebuild the engine at your expense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oil injection problems

I pulled my oil injection system for similar reasons. Running on the lake engine started to seize. I limped home slowly to find one of the oil injection lines had come off the pump. Constant oil in the hull from leaking tank along the seam which I found out is very common. I am now mixing my oil 50:1 and runs fine. I do constantly have a low oil light blinking but I am going to try wiring between the terminal points of the oil sensor and see if that stops the warning. The only problem I can see with mixing oil in the gas is you are getting the same amount of oil at low speeds as high speeds which can foul plugs. I am willing to change plugs now and then.

hi ackershaw,
we've owned a 2000 xl1200 ltd since new and had problems with the oil supply 3 times now.

the first time the ski was 6 months old and began seizing after warming up. problem: although the oil gauge was reading 2 thirds full the tank was actually empty and engine was seizing and shutting down due to lack of oil!
Solution: fixed under warranty- cylinders cleaned up engine rebuilt new oil sensor installed, from then on always manually check actual oil level.

2nd time: 2 years ago same thing began happening. small amount of oil in hull.
engine seized when warm.
Problem: oil line had perished (not visible when looking from above).
Solution: $4,500AUD later, engine completely rebuilt! according to local dealer the barrels were too badly damaged to be cleaned, and as they are nickel plated no honing can be done so all new parts!

3 days ago!!: seized again! this time nearly exactly as you describe. oil all through hull. dry looking plugs. low battery voltage due to trying to start ski. Problem: suspected oil line blown off.
solution so far: premix oil in fuel, 40:1 (not sure what would be suitable ratio, any suggestions welcome). put back in the water and riden fast for 15-20mins and seems to run well, plenty of power etc. so have emptied oil tank. putting up with low oil warning on startup ( how to disconnect?).

i wonder if before you take the jetski to the mechanic (if you havent already) you could try premix the oil. ifthe jetski runs well, the damage to the cylinders cant be bad enough for expensive rebuild. then if you want the oil line to be fixed take to the mechanic knowing they needn't rebuild the engine at your expense.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That'll be a blow up mate! I know you said it has comp, but pull it apart and im sure it will be nipped up. And when they nip up, they have a nickalsil barrel and the whole barrel will need to be replaced. Don't let someone talk you into steel bores, too much hassle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts