Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 xl800 , between 60-80 hrs,that is driving me crazy. I bought it with known issues. I found the filter in the carbs plugged, and a lot of dirt in the tank, cleaned everything and ran it last year, but only for a couple hours max(end of season) still running ok. I winterized it, and when i went to restart it this year, it didn't seem to want to idle. I figured it was just the storing oil/plugs , and needed to run. Battery was to weak to keep starting it. A couple weeks go by and I put a charged battery in it, now no spark. Replaced cdi and now it runs, but here is the new issue. I adjusted the idle screw to get it to idle, but now when i pop the throttle, it doesn't come down and I have to hit the kill switch and it slowly shuts off. I readjusted idle screw and verified that it wasn't the cable sticking, So i pulled the carbs and cleaned them again, not to bad, screens were clean, put it together and still same over reving issue. It will idle o.k. as long as you don't pop the throttle. Also, seams more prevalant if you pop the throttle a couple times and idle doesn't seam to be as smooth as i would like.

Any Ideas?

thanks
john

·
Registered
323 Posts
It is leaning out when it is not under load. You would notice it would bog down and cut out if you tried the same thing in the water. If the engine has been re-built with steel bores once upon a time, and it is oversize you will have to change the needle and seat from 1.2 to 2.5. Big jump. However, if it is just the normal size, the low speed mixture screws will have to be turned out enough to rectify the problem. Sometimes there is galleries inside the carb you will never get to that remain partially blocked. You will just have to adjust out the problem either by mixture screws and jetting. Put the idle back to standard, this will be emphasising the issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, I was guessing a lean condition, but never thought about clogged passages. I was leaning toward a vacum leak at base of carbs, but your answer seems more likely. Another question though, When i clen the carbs, I don't pull ther jets , I just blow everything out with compressed air, Would you give the carbs a second, more thorough cleaning before messing with adjustments?

thanks
john

·
Registered
323 Posts
Look, if you have already cleaned the carbs and you are 100% sure you have installed everything back correctly you should be able to get your arm around to richen up the low speed mixture screws whilst your at the water. They are the only ones that will need adjusting. However, be sure that you placed the spring for the needle and seat correctly, the accelerator pump is working correctly and the anti-syphon valves and fuel pump check valves are sealing properly. These are things that can affect take off when the carbs are clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the great advice. I went and pulled the carbs again, and pulled the mixture screws,jets,and the hex plug. I found a lot of junk burried in there on one carb, Cleaned them real good, Ski runs like a dream. We just spent the day on it, runs perfect and I never messed with the mixture except to richen a 1/4 turn to be safe. Thanks again

john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts