Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the battery for the second time this year and after a week or so of not starting the machine the battery appears dead. I tried starting it and the starter makes a loud click, click sound. I checked the battery voltage and it reads 12.6 volts. Its back on the charger, could it be my starter or can anyone help with some suggestions. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Clicking noise is usually from the starter solenoid. Try jumping the starter solenoid (jump the 2 largest leads going to the solenoid.......may both be red) and see if it starts. If it does, you need a new solenoid. If it still does not start after jumping the solenoid, you may have a bad starter or bad bendix in the starter.

Battery going bad might indicate a bad rectifier/regulator, but should't effect starting unless battery voltage is too low. Battery that goes bad in just 2 weeks was bad to start with, or you have a voltage drain someplace. 12.6 v is a little low for a fully charged battery. Some of these 2 strokes need all the voltage they can get. Try pulling your car battery and see if it will start on that.......could indicate a bad battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told dont have your car running as it produces spikes in the voltage which could damage the ski's electronics. Also just becasue it reads 12.6V does not always mean anything. You could have good voltage but little current. People often forget this! Also might be worth having one of them charges which keeps your battery always topped up! cost about £30. They look after the battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried jumping the solenoid and it still didn't turn over but click. I removed the plugs and found water in all three cylinders. Does anyone know what caused this problem and how is it repaired. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Water in cylinders is a major problem. Engine is probably hydro-locked. If its been sitting for a while with water in it, the engine is probably totaled, especially if it is salt water. If it won't turn over with the plugs out, you are going to have to pull the engine and break it down..........may not be worth trying to fix.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the plugs and it cranks now, I believe the water came from the hose inlet when hooked to the water supply and stalled and the water ran into the cylinders from the exhaust. Will continue trying to get the water out and put some mystery oil in the cylinders and hope for the best!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got the waverunner running again, it took most of the day cranking the water out of the cylinders, changing cleaning alternating plugs, mystery oil in the cylinders and starting fluid. When it finally started it sounded like a broken down washing mahine running in reverse. Took it out to the harbor for a long ride and it finally smoothed out.
Thanks for all the suggestions and one thing I learned is make sure the valve to the hose is completely closed after flushing!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
new problem starter just clicks but before that while under a load engine would bog down and have no power! any helpould be appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Starter relay clicking

My 2000 yamaha 1200 suv wil not start the starter relay just clicks, I checked the relay an it appears good, battery charged was running prior to that but bogged down under a load. Took plugs out and no water in cylinders and still won't crank? Tried tapping the starter and still no luck!
Can it be the starter and if so does someone have a diagram for removal, it looks like I have to remove the exhaust!

Any suggestions will be appreciated--Thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Have you tried jumping the solenoid? If it still will not start, it may be the starter. Be sure the pump is clear. I do not have a service manual for the SUV, so I don't know what is involved in removing the starter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
otim49,

If you can pm me I may have the service manual on my home computer (I'm at work now).

Also, a simple thing I learned from this forum is to have a hose connector where the garden hose connects to the PWC. Having to run back to the faucet to avoid flooded cylinders when the motor quits is a race you will usually lose. This is in reference to your previous problem.

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced the starter and put a primer kit on the carbs, running ok, but carbs need to be rebuilt. I rebuilt the cars started good but rain slower than before. top end about 40 Need some more time adjusing the carbs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
top end only 35mph on SUV 1200

I just rebuilt the carbs and now my top end has dropped from 50+MPH to 30-35 at 5000 rpm. Do I need to pull the carbs?
What should the RPM be at top speed. Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good morning,
Just saw this threat and was hoping that I could get some help for my SUV1200.
I too have to replace the starter and need some help on the way to do it. If otim49 is still here can you tell me the way you replaced your starter or if any one else has the way to replace it. I am guessing that the easiest way looks like the exhaust has to come off the motor.
Thank you all for the help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts