Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this from the original owner. He was an odd man who wouldn’t let me test the machine. So I gave him $700 (the value of the trailer). It turns over great but doesn’t fire at all. I just put brand new plugs in. I compression tested it and it is 115 exactly in all three. A local CL guy said the motor is shot and needs a rebuild. Not sure that makes sense. Anyone familiar with this engine that can give me the check list to go through to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious?
With the wave runner came a file full of service records from the local marina. I did call them and they knew the machine and said there was nothing wrong with it to their knowledge.
I appreciate your guidance.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I just bought this from the original owner. He was an odd man who wouldn’t let me test the machine. So I gave him $700 (the value of the trailer). It turns over great but doesn’t fire at all. I just put brand new plugs in. I compression tested it and it is 115 exactly in all three. A local CL guy said the motor is shot and needs a rebuild. Not sure that makes sense. Anyone familiar with this engine that can give me the check list to go through to make sure I’m not missing anything obvious?
With the wave runner came a file full of service records from the local marina. I did call them and they knew the machine and said there was nothing wrong with it to their knowledge.
I appreciate your guidance.
At 115psi in each hole I wouldn't call it done. The 1200 new starts out around 125. Needs redone around 100. So your about 50%. But if it's been setting long it may come up some after the rings get set in again.
How fresh is fuel? If it been setting, pump tank out and refresh fuel.
Let's start by confirming spark. Pull plugs, plug them into wires and ground them to head. Add a tablespoon of 2 stroke oil to each cyl. Crank and check for good blue spark. If yes then let's try mixing up a small amount of oil/gas (40/1) and squirt some into the plug holes put plugs back. Crank it up. If it starts now we need to check fuel filter. And hoses for obvious air/fuel leaks and figure on rebuilding carbs.

If no spark we'll have more testing to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the carb cover off. Looks really clean in there. Squirted a little starting fluid in and it fired right up. Now it starts really quickly and runs great. Goes over 50 and handles great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts