Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a free very clean wave runner. I’m about to install a rebuilt motor since the previous had a blown cylinder and about 300 hours. Owner told me everything was working great before the engine issue. This happened recently so it hasn’t been sitting. Has no reason to lie since giving it for free. My total investment will be about 3K since a trusted mechanic is doing the work. Also rebuilding the carbs. Only other work was a D plate install. I can most likely fix anything else that may go wrong with a almost 20 year old ski. If I get 3 years without soaking major dollars I’ll be happy.
Worth it?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If that comes with a trailer you'd be a bit upside down on value for my area but if you intend to hold on to it and you enjoy it that works. I have 2, I'm that way on. but I use and enjoy them. When I do decide to sell I'll get a decent price for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ordered it yet. SBT would not be my choice for a motor. Very poor reputation

Would recommend pwcengines instead. same basic pricing much better reputation.[/QUOTE]

I hear you but I need to trust my mechanic. His business is only jet skis and he’s been around for a while. Others I know have used sbt and are still going strong.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Have you ordered it yet. SBT would not be my choice for a motor. Very poor reputation

Would recommend pwcengines instead. same basic pricing much better reputation.
I hear you but I need to trust my mechanic. His business is only jet skis and he’s been around for a while. Others I know have used sbt and are still going strong.[/QUOTE]

That's cool, if your mechanic has good luck with them. I have never personally used one of there motors. Lots of there parts and top ends. Just here a lot of bad about there motors is all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just found the Yamaha factory service manual for free online. I’m printing it out now. I see the same on eBay and Amazon for close to $100. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve been reading posts about the weak links with these skis. Seems it’s the oil lines and power valve clips. I was worried about the oil pump because of the age but seems they’re bulletproof. I’m now a little relieved since I was wondering why I found a little food syringe with the ski. I’m assuming with a new sbt PV motor they’ve installed the new wave eater clips? I’ll make sure my mechanic replaces the oil lines. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a update. After a long two weeks, I picked up my WR yesterday. The SBT motor is really sounding great. Got it out in the water for a couple hours yesterday for the recommend break in procedures. It’s getting sort of double dosages of oil since the break in oil was added to the gas. Once the 10 gallons of gas are used, I can really increase RPM’s. After that second tank of just gas I can do whatever I please. I’ll also replace the plugs at that point. Wanted to continue riding yesterday but I think something got stuck either in the intake grate or impeller. Just went out and started it and just running it tied up it seems the issue has corrected itself. Fingers crossed 🤞 I’ll keep the updates going.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wanted to finish the break in this weekend on my new SBT motor but the rain put a damper on that. The ski is running well. Can’t wait to replace the plugs as soon as I finish the last few gallons of oil mixed gas.

Was able to do some basic maintenance items and noticed a loose bolt on the intake duct. I didn’t see any water leaking around it when in the water so I’m assuming it’s been like that for a while. It threads into a brass fitting visible from inside the rear hull. There’s epoxy poured around it. I can’t get the bolt tightened. I tried to clamp a vice grip on the brass piece inside but no luck. Should I worry about it? No idea how to free it up to tighten it. I included a couple photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
At this point I'd leave it till after riding season. Do it as an off season repair. If it won't come out gripping the insert with vise grips. Then you may need to drill a Small hole in the top of the insert to spray in some pb blaster. Let it soak a day or two. Then try with vice grips again. Once out you'll need an 8mm tap to clean up the insert threads. Clean the outside of the insert and epoxy real good with acetone. Rough it up with sand paper and clean again. Then mix up plenty of jb weld and reglue the insert with plenty of jb weld. Then use anti seise on your bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At this point I'd leave it till after riding season. Do it as an off season repair. If it won't come out gripping the insert with vise grips. Then you may need to drill a Small hole in the top of the insert to spray in some pb blaster. Let it soak a day or two. Then try with vice grips again. Once out you'll need an 8mm tap to clean up the insert threads. Clean the outside of the insert and epoxy real good with acetone. Rough it up with sand paper and clean again. Then mix up plenty of jb weld and reglue the insert with plenty of jb weld. Then use anti seise on your bolts.
Thanks Dave! Would of never thought to drill a small hole. I might as well check the condition of the other three bolts as well as the intake grate. I have a feeling I’ll be needing to take the bolts off in the future for some reason or another. In the meantime, I should probably apply some silicone just in case messing with it could of caused a leak. I’m going to try and continue my season through October 👍

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on it. If it leaks a bit your bildge pump should take care of it.
Silicone sealant on it now won't let the jb weld stick later.
If it leaks really bad I'd cut season short and fix. You've already been on the water correct? So it couldn't be to bad.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
found a small 1/8” hose connected to a fitting right next to the rear seat latch. It’s just laying in the bilge area. Labeled vent. Does it connect to anything?
The older batteries had a vent attachment. That's what it went to. Rarely if ever needed now. Almost all the batteries I've seen over the last few years are non vented.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
found a small 1/8” hose connected to a fitting right next to the rear seat latch. It’s just laying in the bilge area. Labeled vent. Does it connect to anything?
The older batteries had a vent attachment. That's what it went to. Rarely if ever needed now. Almost all the batteries I've seen over the last few years are non vented.
Ahhh...makes sense. Thanks Dave, you’re a wealth of knowledge! While we’re on a roll with questions and answers, the service manual shows a filter for the oil tank. Where is it exactly and is it something that needs to be looked at regularly.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks 😊 for the compliment 😁. I do my best to help find the info your looking for.

The oil filter on your ski is in the oil tank. It's actually part of the sending unit. Just undo the clamp and lift it out. Just be sure to empty it first and bleed the system after. Yes, it should probably be cleaned after 20 years. The tank will need to be drained, and removed.
They get quite a bit of debris in them and a paraffin like mess in the bottom. The pic is the schematic from "Babbittsonline" parts. You'll need to also replace the packing #8 that seals the filter to tank. It may stick in the tank but is easy to remove with a piece of wire or mechanical fingers. I clean mine with fuel. Just be careful. Don't smoke! Lol.

Forgot to add use a soft brush on the filter with fuel to clean.

Both my 20 yr old tanks had grass and sand in them. Just a general mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The oil filter on your ski is in the oil tank. It's actually part of the sending unit. Just undo the clamp and lift it out. Just be sure to empty it first and bleed the system after. Yes, it should probably be cleaned after 20 years. The tank will need to be drained, and removed.
They get quite a bit of debris in them and a paraffin like mess in the bottom. The pic is the schematic from "Babbittsonline" parts. You'll need to also replace the packing #8 that seals the filter to tank. It may stick in the tank but is easy to remove with a piece of wire or mechanical fingers. I clean mine with fuel. Just be careful. Don't smoke! Lol.

Forgot to add use a soft brush on the filter with fuel to clean.

Both my 20 yr old tanks had grass and sand in them. Just a general mess.[/QUOTE]
What’s the packing made out of? What should I have on hand?
This will be another task for winter. There’s only 96 hours on the original motor. I’ll for sure let you know what I find. Thanks again Dave!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts