Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Yamaha xl 800 won't get out of the hole with two people or more, Runs 44mh, clean the carbs everything look good and new plugs. Even with one person on its a little slow coming up to plane, but put two and it will plane out but take a few yards to get going. When you give it the gas the motor sounds good, then a few yards later it feels like it picks the water up and takes off. The jet looks good no nicks, smooth all round, just small day light around the jet. WHAT UP HELP

West GA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Must be the Ga. Heat westga. I'm in South Ga with the Same Exact problem. Just started doing it the last couple weekends. rpm stay up and yes, I believe it is cavitating. No debrie in the grate, Impellar looks fine through the grate cause I havnt pulled it off yet. Funny thing is I can turn left, and right and it will pick the water up and it will take off. Mine is the ole Purple 2000 800 xl as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
check the impeller/ liner gap. (should be 2-7thou). if its fine, the pump shoe seal will hjave blown out. Pull the pump shoe off, get a pump plug kit, install, then sikaflex up all surfaces which connect to ski as well as under the pump ring and re-install. Clean off excess sikaflex and should be right then.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GCwaverunner
Whats sikaflex (a tub sealant)? I am see a stain on the back left side (black in color) on the top in side were the shoe comes trough the hull, I hope its the seal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You da man GCwaverunner!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea what a pump shoe seal was until now. For a quick fix and to not spend a lot of money I went to Lowes, Got some 1" wide foam rubber sealing tape and some quick set water proof silicone and sealed up the Pump Shoe and my problem is solved. I am ordereing some factory replacements but you solved my problem....=}
Oh Yea..... I'm getting 54 mph now instead of 50. Thanks again Sir.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Westga..... Pull your grate off then your pump shoe.....There are 3 pc of rubber there that are probably dry rotted or have receided in size.... Replace them. You will be happy with the results......

·
Registered
16 Posts
GC where would be a good place to buy factory seals. Dennis Kirk dont offer them and I cant find no where else. This a factory part?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Im in Australia so im not sure over there. I sometimes buy stuff from RIVA online. They have OEM seals and their stuff is all good quality. I think theyre near lake Havasu.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GunSlinger the part # are 66v-51367-00-00 (felt packing) $1.86 and 66v-51368-00-00 (felt packing the small ones) $1.90. From the local yamaha dealer.
GCwaverunner if the seal on the impeller housing or duct is leaking will I be able to see signs of it leaking (out of the water), one shop wanted to reseal the housing said over the phone it was a problem they see. The parts are order will put on next week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GunSlinger I ordered the parts from a local Yamaha dealer 66V-51367-00-00 (Felt Packing) and 66V-51368-00-00 (Felt Packing the two small ones) both less than $4.00 total The back felt 1/2 of it was gone the sides look ok.
GCwaverunner a shop a talked to on the phone said with the age on the machine I maybe leaking water out of the impeller or duct housing if so will I be able to see were it is leaking if the ski is out of the water. The joints look good as far as I can see on spots or area around the housing that looks bad.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No, the seal is only an air seal between the pump shoe and pump ring. It doesnt hold anything in or out. It merely stops the air trapped in the pump show to go up into the impeller and cause cavatation. So pull the scoop grate of, then the pump shoe, you will see there is 3 little black seals. Remove them and sikaflex everywhere that comes in contact with the ski. The biggest one on the rear is the most important to make sure is sealed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about the back side of the impeller were the water comes out of the duct back into the water, can it be leaking pressure and need new seals?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about the back side of the impeller were the water comes out of the duct back into the water, can it be leaking pressure and need new seals?
Hey West Ga I have a 2004 xlt800 and like urs will not come out of the hole ... The RPM 's go very high when hitting the throttle but the speed only goes to 12 mph and then finally it will take off like a bat outta hell??? Please help Im at wits end please any suggestions i would appreciate...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will have to have someone do it for me because unfortunately my husband died 3 yrs ago... I will tackle most anything but unless I have a how to do it manual I'm a bit perplexed ... I just wanted to know what to tell the repair person so I kinda know what I am talking about and he does not take me for my lungs ... Anyway thanks for responding...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts