Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my jet ski in the water the other day it would not go past 3 miles an hour. When I first started out it got up to 40 and then all of a sudden it instantly went down to 3 miles an hour. I drove around for an hour and the whole time the ski would not go faster than 3 miles an hour. Need help!

Any suggestions on to what is going on with my jet ski?

·
Registered
209 Posts
do a compression test....

make sure the Powervalves cycle when the ski is turned off..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did test still need help

I did the compression test and came out with 100, 95, 95 and the power valves were working fine. I did find a leak in the exahaust, could that be the problem. I am going to patch and run the jet ski and see what happens.

I also changed the fuel filter which didn't look that bad.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I did the compression test and came out with 100, 95, 95 and the power valves were working fine. I did find a leak in the exahaust, could that be the problem. I am going to patch and run the jet ski and see what happens.

I also changed the fuel filter which didn't look that bad.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks again.

those numbers are all a little low,,,, maybe time to freshen up the rings...

where did you find the leak? patch's are never good ideas..

have you removed the catalytic converter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jet ski problems

Compression test - What should the #'s read? Freshen up the rings - I'll look into that.

Leak - Towards the back/underneath the exahaust. A friend of mine looked at it and said that it looks like when the manufacturer poored the metal in making the exhaust it looks like they didn't poor enough in that area and a hole developed from that. Should I replace the exahaust?

Catalytic Converter - No, I have not. I will look into that also.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will keep this post updated

·
Registered
209 Posts
Compression test - What should the #'s read? Freshen up the rings - I'll look into that.

Leak - Towards the back/underneath the exahaust. A friend of mine looked at it and said that it looks like when the manufacturer poored the metal in making the exhaust it looks like they didn't poor enough in that area and a hole developed from that. Should I replace the exahaust?

Catalytic Converter - No, I have not. I will look into that also.

Thanks for your suggestions. I will keep this post updated

usually in the 110 range for a stock head,,,,, in the rear of the gpr theres only two metal objects, the waterbox, and the exit tube which is a 1/4 thick and wouldnt have been poured wrong..... did you remove the battery box, styrofoam and sound suppression to look ? or just peaked back there through it all.... i would get back there and make sure with your own eyes whats going on,, ive never heard of anything leaking back there and i know alot of gpr owners........

seeing as you dont know if you have a cat-con or not, leads me to believe that you havent done any mandatory safety fixes on your ski yet.......

i made a big post on all the fixes, check it out....

d-plate in place of the cat-con
waveeater clips for the powervalves
updated pump shoe/rideplate inserts
tunnel reinforcement
secure oil lines on the carbs or switch to pre-mix

all of these i would recommend doing before you take it out again,,, if not these could cause MAJOR damage to either the hull or motor later.....anyone thats serious about gpr's has done these to the ski.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Remy, where is your thread to the preventative maitenance you reference. I just found out today that one of the oil lines came off the number 3 carb and trashed the cylider and piston. I also found out that this oil line is secured to the carb with a zip tie!!! Not only is this a un-profesional way to secure a critical system, I'm dumb founded that Yamaha would do this.

So with this being said, how do you recommend securing this oil line? This is a rubber type line on a smooth brass nipple. They could have at least made the brass fitting barbed. I read somewhere today about useing RTV on this connection. I wouldn't think RTV would work very well on a oily hose and a smooth brass nipple. I could be wrong, I just didn't think oil and RTV react very well together.

Sorry for the rant, but I would fire any engineer working for me that would even suggest zip tieing such a critical system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts