Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
STILL NEED HELP ANY IDEAS OUT THERE???
I have a 2000 Yamaha 1200xl limited edition waverunner with around 60 hours on it.
It cranks good cold and hot if you cut off and right back on.
If you get the waverunner hot and shut off for over 10 min then when you pull the throttle lever it sticks wide open. If you let the unit sit for say 4 hours it works fine.

ANY IDEAS??????

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Check where the throttle cable ends (at the handle and engine) for sticking. May be a bad spring, gunked up, or corroded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 xl1200 with the exact problem. Does yours seem cold blooded after sitting for a few minutes, needing a lot of choke?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you let sit more then 15 min the throttle sticks wide open and you have to choke to get cranked and run a few min to get throttle to operate properly. I just don't understand the throttle sticking if you let sit for 15 min but not if you crank right back up or let sit overnight.
Does your throttle stick wide open??????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like we have the same issue. From what I can tell, if you start the machine quickly (while picking up tubers, etc), the motor fires up and the issue doesn't present itself. If you give it gas while cranking it after it sat for 5 minutes? 10 minutes?, then the throttle sticks wide open until you start it, then it races a few seconds once started and returns to idle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the problem. It seems to be in the round assembly the cables hook to or on the cable that pulls it back. I have greased all the cables and no results. I guess the next step is to try to pull the round assembly that the cables hook to off. It seems something is heating up and when it cools off some it sticks. If cold ok or if you keep hot it is ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tell you what, if I figure it out first I will let you know what I did. Feel free to educate me as well. Must be a design issue since they are identical machines. boats.net has good microfiche schematics of the assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the service manual disk off of E-BAY for around $9.00 but I haven't had a chance to check out yet.

I'm hoping ""SOMEBODY OUT THERE"" has already fixed and will tell both of us before I have to tear into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sticking throttle.

i had the same problem. we tracked the problem to the oil pump which we found to have a rough spot as it traveled (controled by throttle cable) from 0 to full throttle. have not had that problem since

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. Forum NOOB here.

I was browsing the net today at work because I'm having THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I mean, identical down to the letter.

Has ANYONE found a solution to this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
sticking throttle

i also have a 1200 pv sticky throttle , i went pre-mix and had the carbs redone with pre-mix jets and choke removed . carbs worked flawlessly for two years , now on the third year i have this same sticky throttle thing .. what do i do..?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts