Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All,

I'm Chris, I'm new to the forum. I have been riding Waverunners/Jetski's for years now - but currently I'm in the market to buy my first one. I found one but need some advice..its a 2000 Yamaha XL800 with about 110 hours. They want $2500.00. They stated no problems with it, comes with the trailer. I am going to look at it today, Need advice. Is that reasonable for that ski? Any known problems with that specific waverunner? Any thing I should look for? This is my first waverunner purchase and the first time I am looking to buy one. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Problems with the XL800 (and many other early Yamaha's for that matter) included powervalves comming loose and falling into the cylinder. On most models it is actually not possible for the valve to fall completely into a cylinder, but it can still cause trouble. The fix is fairly simple.......adding some clips to the valves. This may have already been done on the ski you are looking at. Other problems are typical of other Yamaha 2 strokes: oil line failure. If it hasn't been converted to pre-mix, keep an eye on the oil lines I can't remember if that model has a catalytic converter or not, but if it does they tend to fail around the 10 year mark. The fix is easy with a "D" plate.

Things to look for: do a compression check, that will give you an idea of engine health, do a test ride, that will tell you whether the pump system is OK and if the engine is reaching the right rpm (around 7000-7200), and speed (53-54 mph), and that the engine works properly under load. If that all checks out $2500 is a good price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like a good summary of XL800 problems. I have two 2001 XL800, both have blown motors now. Each has around 175 hours. First failure was blown rear crankshaft bearing, 2nd was destroyed piston/rings/cylinder due to power valve breaking at the shaft and falling into cylinder, 3rd was power valve completely gone from the motor, 4th was zero compression in rear cylinder due to piston/head/cylinder damage when top ring broke and 5th failure is retaining pin came out of power valve clip, allowing piston to eat away at the power valve.

Mine don't have catalytic converters and still use the oil injection system. I have not checked for loose oil lines at the carbs but seems like there would be a lot of oil in the engine compartment if one did come loose or off. I have R&D billet power valves on order, since I have to replace them anyway and they cost about the same as OEM. You can add the clips but that won't help if the PV shaft breaks.

I've worked on motorcross bikes for years, they have specific maintenance schedules, i.e. # of hours, when to replace pistons/cranks, etc. I can't find anything similar for jet skis. One individual said Yamaha two-stroke motors should have pistons/rings replaced and crank rebuilt every 100 hours.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Damn....looks like I have some work to do on mines.
How difficult would you rate taking about the components to get to the carbs and power valves?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have not removed the carbs, just verified the oil lines were still securely connected to the carb bodies. They mount on the crankcase and there's not a lot of room on the right side of the engine for access. The power valves are inside the exhaust port in the each cylinder with cable-driven actuators bolted to the outside of the cylinder case. This requires removing the entire exhaust manifold. So far, the easiest way I've found is to start from the rear of the PWC and working towards the engine. Sorry :(

·
Registered
57 Posts
damn :(

I ask a dealer in the town i keep the skis how much just for a carb rebuild, he said they do not work on 2 strokes because of all the issues and the cost end up more than the ski. I just did my carbs on the 95 wave venture, but it did not have all the extra stuff on top...looks tight as shit inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts