Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2001 Kawasaki 1100 STX Di with 125 hours. Just had a full check up at the local dealer before we purchased and everything checked out fine. My son was riding it today and it died and will not start back. Any indeas what this may be? It's like the kill switch lanyard is off but it's not.....like it's getting no fire. Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
took it to the dealer and they say the stater and cdi box both have gone bad and they want $2200 to fix it. went and picked it up and now wondering what i need to do. any ideas of where i could get the cdi box rebuilt?

thanks for any help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, wrong part needed, it's the ECM which I found out has already been replaced twice since the ski was bought new. Dealer wants $2200 for a new one so I called CS at Kawasaki. They said to have the dealer to call the tech line and maybe they could work something out. We'll see what happens. The CS rep admitted they have had a ton of problems with the ECM and the dealer said Kawasaki needs to bite the bullet and do something about this problem. Just wondering if anyone knows the name of the place in Alabama that rebuilds ECM units in case Kawasaki doesn't replace this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, keep messing up the name of the part I need replaced, it's an EMM. Just called DFI Tech in AL and it's $549 if they have to rework the unit. Being this would be the 4th one installed on my ski I'm going to get this POS running and get rid of it. From everything I have read about the 1100 STX DI Kawasaki should have made this problem right with the consumer. Seems like one out of 10 doesn't have problems. So the question is, whats the most dependable ski out there right now? Keeping in mind I'll be looking for something 4 - 7 years old, don't have a lot to spend on a ski right now.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yeah I have seen a few down here in Australia with that problem. But I have never seen the ski come back again. I'm really not 100% sure without checking the whole elec system on it however if your after something 4-7 years old a Yamaha Fx140 or HO is great. Or for a bit cheaper a XLT1200 post 2001's are good skis (use more fuel than your Kawi). If your in flat calm water a seadoo DI 3 seater is not bad. Its disappointing you have had problems with your Kawasaki cause they are generally a good ski. But you really cant go past a Yamaha!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just a follow up on my ski. Sent the EMM to DFI Tech in Alabama. They ran test on the unit and did a rebuild. The total was $650 with shipping both ways, and it has ran like a dream all summer with no problems.

Wondering if anyone knows of anything special I need to do with the DI when I winterize it? Ran all the water out, filled up the gas tank, ran engine long enough to get stablelizer in the injectors, took out battery......anything else special I need to Do?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2002 STX. I have heard issues with the computer are a real common problem with horror stories of 1500 dollar repair bills. The guy i bought mine from had it localy maintenanced, and it looks well taken care of. BUT I do worry about being one of the many people who end up with a bad computer. Fingers crossed I have no issues. Ski has 100 hours on it, have yet to put it in the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts