Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a pair of 2000 yamaha gp1200r's. All stock, and runs on premix. Everything was going great until day 2 on vacation, we took it out for a ride, came back to switch riders and we had no power. Battery was dead and HOT. Well this morning after charging it, we went to put the battery back in and when we touch the terminals to the battery, the waverunner tried cranking over. We took apart the start button and everything looked clear and fine. Safety key was not in and the start button was not pressed down. So my question is what could it be?

·
Registered
25 Posts
We just bought a pair of 2000 yamaha gp1200r's. All stock, and runs on premix. Everything was going great until day 2 on vacation, we took it out for a ride, came back to switch riders and we had no power. Battery was dead and HOT. Well this morning after charging it, we went to put the battery back in and when we touch the terminals to the battery, the waverunner tried cranking over. We took apart the start button and everything looked clear and fine. Safety key was not in and the start button was not pressed down. So my question is what could it be?
Check your starter as I had similar on a Kawasaki when the starter solenoid had gotten stuck.

I would take the starter out and give it a good clean and spray it with a good electrical Marine spray.
the problem is that the Starters are normally in a hard to get spot when spraying the Ski after a day out on Salt water.
I like to fill my hull with fresh clean water and a good quality salt remover and then spray with INOX after I drain.
I only fill to a level that it flushes the engine mounts and starter as well as any clamps in the lower section you may not easily see.
I found I was having to many problems with my two old Two strokes and sold them both and got a newer Four stroke and haven't looked back since.
I now use less than half the fuel and even though the servicing isn't the cheapest, as it costs me $300 for a proper Yamaha service.
The saving in fuel makes up for that :)
Lucky the starters are not an expensive item for that Ski, good luck and hope that fixes your problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Starter relay ... The start button applies 12 volts to the relay which in turn supplies 12 volts to the starter. The relay is often located in a separate location from the starter. The RED lead from the battery connects to the relay. The OTHER RED lead from the relay connects to the starter. "Relay"... and "solenoid" ... are often used as the same ... but are actually differnt in function.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=9232c9b914c7584b585dcfa8fd97e864d8617d85 ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check your starter as I had similar on a Kawasaki when the starter solenoid had gotten stuck.

I would take the starter out and give it a good clean and spray it with a good electrical Marine spray.
the problem is that the Starters are normally in a hard to get spot when spraying the Ski after a day out on Salt water.
I like to fill my hull with fresh clean water and a good quality salt remover and then spray with INOX after I drain.
I only fill to a level that it flushes the engine mounts and starter as well as any clamps in the lower section you may not easily see.
I found I was having to many problems with my two old Two strokes and sold them both and got a newer Four stroke and haven't looked back since.
I now use less than half the fuel and even though the servicing isn't the cheapest, as it costs me $300 for a proper Yamaha service.
Lucky the starters are not an expensive item for that Ski, good luck and hope that fixes your problem.
I should have said the throw out gear and not solenoid, but check the starter as it may be the culprit as the relay is probably fine as it sits up higher and behind a water proof cover, unless of course it's no longer water proof from some unhandy man playing about from previous owner and water has leaked into it ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had/have a similar issue, as Mallo does, on a 97 gp 1200. With this one it seems that the relay stuck and it toasted the starter motor. When I touched the - cable to the battery it would spark. So I chased it down to the relay. How in the heck do I get the starter off of this thing? I have a service manual but it doesn't give much info on removing the starter. Does the exhaust pipe/muffler have to come off? As near as I can tell the starter is underneath there. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll check it out thanks! It's funny, I have a 2004 Suzuki 400 atv here that's doing almost exact same thing. I put a new starter on it and got it to run, but, after idling for a minute or 2 it will die and when I hit the start button it just clicks. I check the starter side of the relay and it's sending 12v to the starter. If I wait a few hours it will start, and repeat. A new relay is on it's way.

YouTube on the 787 580 series .... donot know if the 1200 is built the same ..
Good luck ....
BTW ... The contacts in the relay burn ,,, and then potentially stick... My experience was with a 1979 Porsche 924 ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts