Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
problem is battery won't hold charge. I just purchased a new battery for my ski and it was good the first day then the next day it did not want to start. it will start with a jump and run all day when at the beach. I can shut it off and restart at the beach but the battery light does blink on and off when doing so. when i take it home and flush the system it is fine but if i decide to take it out the next day it won't start. so basically what im looking for is there some kind of system that still runs when the key is out and the main switch is turned to off. any ideas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
problem is battery won't hold charge. I just purchased a new battery for my ski and it was good the first day then the next day it did not want to start. it will start with a jump and run all day when at the beach. I can shut it off and restart at the beach but the battery light does blink on and off when doing so. when i take it home and flush the system it is fine but if i decide to take it out the next day it won't start. so basically what im looking for is there some kind of system that still runs when the key is out and the main switch is turned to off. any ideas.
you need to go to advanced auto and by a voltage tester (just an inexpensive one with the LED lights)and check the to see if you alternator is charging.you hook it up to your battery,start the motor and it will tell you if it is charging.before you start the motor see what the tester is reading and and it will tell you how many volts are in the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Drain

I think you almost answered your own question. Your alternator may not be charging, as the other guys are going to say. But, maybe there is a drain on the battery with the key out. You will need an amp meter to check this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i kind of figured that it may be the alternator but you where saying that there may be a drain when it is shut off where should i check to check to see if that is happening to. i do have a multi meter to check the battery but what should i check to see if it is still pushing power when it is shut off?

thanks all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checks

Set multi-meter to DC volts. Check battery volts (Should be about 12). Start engine. Check battery volts again (Should be about 15). If still 12, regulator or alternator is gone. If 15, all is OK and you need to check for a drain.
If your multi-meter can test amps, set it to DC amps (1 amp should do). With engine off, remove positive from battery, hold black meter lead on cable you just removed, and red meter lead on battery positive terminal. If you have a reading on the meter, you have a drain to flatten the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1992 Kawasaki 750sx is doing the exact as the original post. New battery running great, ride it for a few hours battery dead. Can jump it with truck but does same thing again. Bought a voltage regulator and have no idea if that is the issue or how to change it out install it. Any help?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts