Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Yamaha Wave Runner that has a battery drain problem even when the jet ski is off. If the battery is charged fully and left to sit for a day, the battery doesn't have enough left to start the jet ski the next day. It has a brand new battery that was installed to try to fix this problem but it didn't help. Something is draining the battery when it is off and the key is removed.

Ideas on what to check?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hi PickyBiker,
Did you get my message on the return mod jet size? I discovered that I had a typo in my notes. You need an 87/87.5. not an 82 as I told you. Pm me your address and I'll send an 87.5 I have.

What I would do for electrical draw is. disconnect your ground cable at the battery and either using a test light or multi meter on amps. Now jump either between the cable and battery -. If there is a draw the light will light or meter will show it. Now disconnect one item at a time. Start with the stuff up front that in plugs. Start/stop switch, power valve Servo motor, ECT..... Then move to the electrical box and do the same.

As you unplug and plug back in watch the light or meter. If the draw goes away you've found your cause. Then you can test that item.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I got your info on the 87/87.5 jet size and I pm'ed you my shipping address. Doesn't matter now because I have reinstalled the carburetors and put everything back together without the mod you described. Tt runs pretty darned well now at 47MPH with a 215lb rider.

This battery drain issue is next on the list. This post was mainly to see if this was a common issue and if there was a readily available fix. If I don't get something in the next day or so, I will do as you suggest with an amp meter.

You have been terrific on helping with the carb issue and I do appreciate your willingness to help ghere as well.

Best regards

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The diagram is in the back of the manual. There are some available as downloadable or you can order a hard copy. Unfortunately I don't have an XL/xlt diagram.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The services manuals are very expensive, but I found a used set of the Service manual and Guide Book for $27 on Ebay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the stator, shorted stator will drain the battery overnight, seen it several times, seems to be pretty common.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, I will. I also want to check the rectifier/regulator if that has shorted it can cause a drain too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Okay, the Rectifier/regulator has been replaced. Now the current drain is down to 3.6 ma and that is coming from the meter panel. It acts like a capacitor that is leaky. Plug in the panel and the draw is about 15 ma but it drops to a steady 3.6 ma over a period of 7-8 seconds. Been watching for two hours now and it is still at 3.6 ma. The battery has a capacity of 19 AH and I would guess it can still start with about 75% capacity. This is the calculation I was given for how long that battery can tolerate a 3.6 ma drain and still have 75% of capacity.

19AH = 19000mAH
75% = 19000mAH * 0.75 = 14250mAH
25% = 19000mAH * 0.25 = 4750mAH
4750mAH / 3.6mAH = 1319H
1319H / 24H = 55 days

So it would seem that as long as I use it at least once per month for a few hours, it should be okay.

Just for completeness, is this a normal amount of drain for a jet ski that is off or is it typically zero drain?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anything with a computer, which the dash panel is, will have some drain. 3.6 MA is well within acceptable current drain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, i am new to this forum, so not sure how to ask a question or start a thread but it is related to Yamaha 2001 XL800 battery issues also. I get a battery alarm beeping and flashing in the gauges, if i charge the battery then it will go sometime ok but then the alarm comes in. The battery has 12v with ski off and also just 12v with ski running.
is it the rectifier/regulator, how do i check before i spend the money and buy it. The fact that the voltage is not increasing when the ski is running tells me that the battery is not charging, am i correct? any ideas are welcome.
I hope i am imposing by adding to this thread, thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unplug the stator from the rectifier, with the ski running and a meter set to AC, test the output of the stator. You should see output on all 3 wires. If not you have a shorted stator, or a broken winding. If you do see output on all 3 plug it back into the rectifier and test the electrical system with the machine reved up a bit, as they don't usually charge at an idle. If you don't see 13.5-14 volts dc, you probably have a dead rectifier. There is no way to test the rectifier so you have to test the rest of the system to eliminate other possibilities.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts