Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has got a 2001 yamaha XL700 that slowly takes on water. You can ride it for an hour or so before you start noticing it slowing down and then eventually the compartment under the back seat get full of water and has to be drained by taking it out of the water. I don't know a who lot about pwcs but I work on trucks and fourwheelers all the time. Do these models have any tye of bilge pump? are they automatic? Anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Too, I know this is probably a stupid question but I just have never fooled around with these things and don't want to tear anything up. do they have to be in the water before cranked?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I was able to get the waverunner this weekend and look it over good. When I found the bilge strainer, instead of it being clipped into its mount on the inside bottom of the hull it was just floating around in the engine compartment. The hose was still attached but the strainer just wasn't clipped down. I put the strainer back where it was suppose to be. The hose off of it, once it came through th wall into the back compartment wasn't attached high on the wall either like it should be at the check valve so I attached it back where it was suppose to be.

I backed the waverunner into the water, jumped it off, and ran it for several minutes and didn't see any water coming in. I didn't get out into the lake to run at speed though due to having a dead battery.

Could the strainer being out of place keep it from getting the water out? And if this was the case should it take on enough water in about 2 hours to fill the hull close to half full?

Sorry for the long post but thanks for the help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
it is possible but it should not be taking on water. If it is taking on water it is coming from somewhere. Check shaft boot to see if it is tight and in place correctly or has a hole in it. And dump all water. then fill it with water to crankcase and wathch to see where it comes out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I filled the hull with water to the crankcase and water wasn't coming in anywhere. I jumped it off again this morning and ran it around the small lake at the house for 20 minutes or so with the seats off. didn't notice any water coming in. Maybe the problem is fixed. I'll know for sure after I ride it for a longer time in the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts