Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an XL800 this winter for $2500. w/trailer. Unit is in beautiful condition. Started right up yesterday on lake for the first time. Ran top end about 42mph on nice flat water. Is this about the best I can expect for this machine...or are there things I can do/check/replace do get higher speeds?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
Jeff

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think new they would run in the 52-55 mph range at around 7000 rpm. What rpm are you running? Did you do a compression test? Is it cavitating.......did you check the impeller for wear/clearance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rode the waverunner today in very flat water. Top speed was 41mph. @ 7000rpm. Nothing obstructing the impeller. Other ideas? The unit is a 2001 with 200+ hours.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like the engine is running at spec., so the problem must be in the pump system someplace. Check impeller/wear ring clearance. Look for damage to the blade. It is also possible to strip the splines on the drive shaft, so the impeller slips around the shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses...

So I can feel ok that things associated with motor and fuel/oil lines are most likely not the cause of the slow speeds because I am achieving 7000 rpms at full throttle and there is no misfiring?

I can go to the auto parts store and buy a feeler tool to check the wear ring amount...but is there actually a way for me to inspect the impeller/wear ring amount without removing the entire jet pump assembly?

Again...thanks in advance.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts