Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,im new to jetski ownership,i just bought a 2001 XL800 frm a guy in my area with only 50hrs on it and the ski seem to run good but what are some things i need to do to it to keep it running good and any other advice on new ownership whould be great...thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Periodically check the oil lines (assuming you still have the oil injection system). Oil line coming off is common failure point. Consider going to pre-mix......something I would consider doing on any older 2 stroke ski.

Might want to check if the previous owner fixed the power valves with clips. They have a tendency to fall into the cylinders..........not good. If not fixed, consider fixing them yourself.

Other common failure point on those skis is the catalytic converter, especially on one that is 10 years old. If the cat/con hasn't been replaced with a "D" plate you might want to consider doing it yourself.

Other than that, keeping the carbs. clean and rebuilding them when needed is probably the biggest maintenance headache.

The 800s are fun skis to ride, but can be a PITA to keep running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Periodically check the oil lines (assuming you still have the oil injection system). Oil line coming off is common failure point. Consider going to pre-mix......something I would consider doing on any older 2 stroke ski.

Might want to check if the previous owner fixed the power valves with clips. They have a tendency to fall into the cylinders..........not good. If not fixed, consider fixing them yourself.

Other common failure point on those skis is the catalytic converter, especially on one that is 10 years old. If the cat/con hasn't been replaced with a "D" plate you might want to consider doing it yourself.

Other than that, keeping the carbs. clean and rebuilding them when needed is probably the biggest maintenance headache.

The 800s are fun skis to ride, but can be a PITA to keep running.
where are the power vales located at?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I just bought one too! I tried to pull a 3 person tube and it did not work! Can I pul; a one person tube with two people on the jetski? Also, can I just bult in the 1200 motor? I really think that will fix my power problems. Oh, those power valve clip upgrades, do I need 3 of them at the 125$ each price? I need more power!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts